Speedster springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Speedster springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene H Franklin on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:11 pm:

What springs are best taken out or which are best to use, front and back, for a light weight body such as Rootliet kit, using a 26 frame and gear. Thanks for any help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

From what I have read, most folks don't recommend removing any from the front as the front end of a speedster is gonna weigh pretty much the same as the car always did.

On the rear, it depends on how many you are going to remove, but if just one, take out the one next to the bottom. If removing two, the second from the top should be the next to go. They said some folks remove every other one.

This is just what I have read. Don't take it as the gospel truth, 'cause I ain't no expert!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:15 pm:

Years ago I did the 'de-arch' thing to the rear spring. Took it to a local truck spring works, and told them to take the height to 8" overall. They cut the main leaf and re-curled the ends, and the other leafs grew a bit, but the stack fit well.
pic
You can see the rear spring with its lower arch in the lower picture.
But...never liked the ride much, even with light body, it road like a buckboard :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:15 pm:

I removed the second shortest leaf, front and rear. Worked good. Next step is the fourth leaf, too.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration