Proper License Plate bracket positioning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Proper License Plate bracket positioning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Miller on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:05 pm:

I have seen and heard several theories on the proper license plate positioning for the bracket (which of course entails the tail light and license plate). Where is the proper positioning on the tail of the wood skeleton for a 1925 roadster? I have heard several theories (one that the plate needed to be centered, one that the tail light on the bracket must be centered and one that it needs to be offset to the left). I have also seen several different mountings. Does anyone know or have pictures of where the bracket should be placed on the back of a 25 roadster?

Thanks as always, Ryan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

It mounted in the center section of the spare tire carrier,just to the left side a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Ryan

The tail light on the '25 mounts on the spare rim carrier. That carrier is bolted to the rear of the frame.

pic

By '25 the tail lamp was the very same as used in 1926. That is the cup of the lamp fits into the top of the license plate holder or frame. The license plate holder with the lamp is then bolted to the spare rim carrier, it is mounted to the left of center the carrier. The bolt holes kind of direct it there, the depression for the kerosene lamp is at the far left, so the license bracket won't fit well there. Besides, the early state license plates were rather long, so being left of center helps to fit those big plates.
Here is my early '25,
pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:23 pm:

Location of plate holder on my '25 rodster.
plate
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

Ryan,

The nondemountable cars would have been different as they would not have had a spare tire carrier. And for those it may also have varied if the car was equipped with a starter or not. Let us know if you need that information. And of course Canada proably had their own method -- so the lamp could be placed on either side depending on if the car was RHD or LHD.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:19 pm:

Ryan's profile shows that he has a '25 roadster/pickup. Surely the mounting location will be different.Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:51 pm:

I have also wondered about the "correct" location for the tail light and license plate on cars of the 24,25 time frame. I have a late 24 Coupe and have the 21 tire carrier for it. When I started restoring the car it had the earlier slightly rounded back tail light on it. The license plate was bolted on the cross piece with the 2 long slots on to facilitate positioning of the plate. There was no separate license bracket on it. Some have or had the teacup style light and licensce bracket. I guess to be a "correct" late 24 the teacup style would be correct?? I have come to the conclusion with that and some other small detail items there is no "pure " T as far as being completely correct! What ever was laying in the parts pile at the factory that is what was used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

John

The '24 and later used the part #8786-CX tail lamp or "tea cup" type. Of course on the '26 and later that tail lamp assembly was bolted to a fender bracket or a hanging bracket if on the runabout pickup.
pic

Only the '23 and earlier would have been fitted with the #7669-X tail lamp, the one with the bolt on the rear and plug at the base, fitted like the kerosene lamps on those cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:14 pm:

Thanks Dan for the info. I was leaning in that direction. My Grandfathers 24 Coupe had the earlier style tail light on it. I have wondered why Ford had the long slots on the tire carrier and then used the later tail light with the license plate bracket. I guess the slotted holes were already in the cross bracket already made up. Over the years there is no telling what my Grandfather did to the car. He was a blacksmith and installed a trailer hitch on the car! It was bolted on the rear spring bolts underneath. Which leads to another question. Did the aftermarket people make trailer hitches for T's? My father wondered what my Grandfather would pull with the Coupe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:21 am:

John

There were lots of acccessory trailers and hitches for the Model T, that car did a lot of work for America's farmers....

pci here

Here is one brand, most times the hitchs were simple pin latch, but this one features a ball hitch, very much like today's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration