1909 body painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1909 body painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:42 am:

How do you get the black and the red on these early bodies/guards etc. Do you paint the black and then when dry mask the black up and paint the red? How do you get a neat joinn between the two colours? Just curious...Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:04 am:

David, the thing that makes an "ugly" joint is too much mil thickness of the paint. The better quality gun that you use will allow for fine atomization of paints which will lay down better. That means you use less coats, --which means less paint build-up.

Paint the color easier to mask first, (i.e.: Black) and then colorsand it. Once it is smooth, use 1/8th inch layout tape to form the edge. Follow up with 3/4" tape to fill in. Then apply the Red color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:49 am:

I would look for automotive paint masking tape which I think is much thinner which is in keeping with what brent said. Make sure the bottom coat is well cured before doing the top coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

David

I just used the fine line tape to make the molding edge, then added a 1" strip along the outer edge for more masking. The fine line tape went easy around the corners of the body wood reeding and the top fender molding.
pci

Then mixed up a batch of Dupont Centari acrylic enamel with added gloss hardener, and used a fine camel brush, painted on the molding. The enamel with hardener added flowed on well, and brush streaks just flowed out flat....looked good to me! (I'm just an amateur)

Of course the new owner has added some fine line red pin-striping that really sets off my old paint work... pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:29 pm:

I like the looks now with the pin stripes,..
pci

and look how neat the wood spokes are now,..
pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:04 pm:

Dan,
WOW!!
Must be nice to know the new owner is appreciative of the car--I've heard too many stories of old owners being disappointed in the new owners--and it happened to me when I sold our steamboat.
T'
DAvid D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:09 pm:

Dan,
WOW!!
Must be nice to know the new owner is appreciative of the car--I've heard too many stories of old owners being disappointed in the new owners--and it happened to me when I sold our steamboat.
T'
DAvid D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:37 pm:

To everybody, thanks for that. It answered my curious little mind...thanks for sharing the photos of the grey car, it looks fantastic! Dave C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:50 am:

If a pedantic old f*rt can weigh in here, to be period correct, it should be brush painted with coach enamel, not sprayed.

And coach lines should be done free-hand, not with masking tape. Get the right brushes and paint & practise, or find an expert. Looks so much better. And period correct. If you can't get the free-hand thing right, use one of those roller gizmos, they can look almost as good as brush work, just a bit too even.

Just my twopenny'orth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:23 am:

Hey Dave (D) do you have any drawings of the front seat and side wooden panels available?

Im doing a 10 Touring Car and desperately looking for dimensions! Alan in Perth, Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:44 pm:

Jem is right.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david willis on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:13 pm:

i did my '10 with a long camel hair lettering brush and "one shot" black sign painting enamel [thinned with turps]...that's pretty much how it was done then and looks great now.

a lot of stuff that had become hard to find--good painting, lettering and striping brushes -not to mention one shot enamel- has had a resurgance with the retro rod movement and become more available..online even!!

while the fine line tape is handy..a real man does it freehand with perhaps a refreshing beverage to " steady his hand".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration