TT vs T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: TT vs T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:00 am:

Is the wheel base of the TT longer then a T. If so can the TT rearend be swapped out with a T set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:54 am:

Just some of my thoughts:

If I remember correctly, from center to center the TT axles are 120" apart while the regular T is either 96" or 100". In any event, the TT is longer. I suppose with some custom fitting you could bolt a regualr T rear end to a TT chassis, but I'm not sure if the TT drive shaft, which is longer, will match up. It may be necessary to lengthen a regualr T shaft.

The TT chasis is the same width as the regualr T, outer surface to outer surface. (It uses the same front axle, engine mounts, etc.) However, regular T rear springs are one set form perch to perch. The TT rear springs are two seperate sets, one right and one left. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting them bolted up. Even if you solve that problem, they also may be too small to install in the TT chassis rear crossmember. I would imagine that TT springs would be too stiff for it, so you'd probably need to make some sort of shim to make the regualr T spirngs work. I would also think that the TT rear spring perches are larger, so there's another possible point of "adjustment".

I suppose you're considering this to speed up a TT. It may be easier to just get a set of high ratio rear end gears and install an auxillary transimssion with overdrive. The combined forces of these will get you up in the 40 MPH range or more.

Anyhow, just some of my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

for what it's worth, the rear crossmembers will interchange between a TT and T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Stinson on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:27 pm:

The car wheelbase is 100in while the TT wheelbase is 124in.

Standard worm gear ratio was 7.25:1, special gearing 5.17:1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:56 pm:

Would be a lot of work to do this I think. Not sure what you are aiming to achive?

If higher speeds (by diff ratios) probably better to add a higher speed worm/ring set now avsailable from suppliers and/or add an overdrive aux gear box?

How about just lengthening a T chassis (see the posts for the "Marriage Carriage") if you just want a longer wheel base?

Cheers
Adrian
(26 TT + aux box overdrive)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:34 pm:

In the Illinois club of Quincy, and Decator there are several TT w/ T rear ends, you just mount a T rear end under the TT rear cross member minus the 1/2 TT springs, put in a carrier bearing and a jack shaft and lengthen the driveshaft Check with Charlie Rose Fowler Ill 217-434-8661 a suberb of Quincy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:31 am:

What I was thinking Adrian was to use a TT chassis to make a speedster/racer. Bigger cars like the buicks, olds, stutz, were used as speedsters but are so much longer/larger cars. The T in size is so tiny in comparision. I thought it would be cool to make a longer/larger T speedster using the longer TT frame with the T car rear end for the faster speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:32 am:

thank you John I will call Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:20 am:

Hi Tyrone, now that does sound cool!
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:22 am:

Thinking about it, maybe lengthening a T chassis would be better as it is lighter than a TT chassis.
A speedster/racer would want to be a light as possible I would think?
(I defer to those more knowledgeable on speedster design)

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:51 am:

Tyrone, if you need a TT frame, let me know. I'm not all that far from you. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

David, I did sent you a private. If you don't get. smilebigtt@yahoo.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration