Worn Out Ignition Key Cylinder and or Tumblers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Worn Out Ignition Key Cylinder and or Tumblers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph L. Teaford on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

My key,s are almost impossible to insert into the slot. Two of the very fine Vendors each have a back order list from the first of this year.

How may I eliminate this problem?
I am a member.
My dad bought me my first when I as 15 YOA in 1945.

I am open to your solutions.

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Try a couple drops of light oil like 3 in 1.
Might work and it won't hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:33 pm:

Ralph
Not sure what year key switch you are referring to, but have you tried Ben Martin 770-038-3376. He does nice work rebuilding the the dash mounted units.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph L. Teaford on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

Thank You Bob & Ron

I tried the oil and it is easier now.

I am going to call Ben Martin for his suggestion.

The switch is a 1924?? Model.

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 09:14 pm:

Ralph,
some of the repro's keys do not work smoothly like the original keys. Could you tell us the number on the key? (It should match the number on the tumbler.)

bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph L. Teaford on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:20 pm:

Ron, The number for Ben Martin is no longer in service. Do you have another means of getting in touch with Ben?

Bob, the the number on the tumbler is #1.

The trouble I have is that the internal guide seems
to be worn so that I must be careful to slide the key at the correct angle to march the worn guide.Thank you.

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:24 pm:

Ben Martin's No is 770-938-3376

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:24 pm:

Sorry my mistake that should be: 770-938-3376

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:31 pm:

Mr. Martin rebuilt mine, solved what I thought was a magneto problem. He does excellent work, it looked and acted as new, and is a real gentleman. He will probably want you to send in your key with your switch, at least he did for me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration