Steering column bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Steering column bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

I was going to put my steering column on my chassis today. I was sandblasting the bracket and the part # on the bottom started with what appeared to be TT. The frame I have is a 21-23 or so. I got the column at a swap meet 10 years or more ago, around the time I got the frame. When I went to bolt it up only one of the bottom holes lined up. The holes in the frame are too close together. I get the bolt through the side and the bolt closest to the front to work. I thought all later columns were the same even on TT's except the 26-27's. If I drill another hole it will bolt up, that will be o.k. I guess? Why the difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:17 am:

Corey, the main difference is the TT frame is taller than than the T frame. Also the TT bracket doesn't have a place for the felt seal on top. The felt sets on top of the bracket and has a stamped cover that goes over it. I don't know why Henry made them like that, does anybody else have any idea? I think you might be better off finding the correct bracket. They aren't hard to find. I may have one around here somewhere. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:20 am:

That's it then, it's a TT column. It has the felt in that stamped cover on top of it. If you've got one let me know. Thanks. Corey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:28 am:

I just looked at a pic of one on ebay. The spark rod fits into it different as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:47 am:

Corey, I just looked and I can't find one right now, although I did find three of them for a TT. I will keep my eyes open. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:58 am:

Call Don Lang at Lang's old car parts - I am sure he will likely have one. David is correct - they are not hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

There is one on ebay I submitted a best offer on. I looked this morning and I have a 26-27 bracket, damaged. I have every one but the one I need. I will be ordering some stuff from Lang's this evening. If I order on Sunday my parts are here by Wednesday usually. That's fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:12 pm:

Corey, I found one if you still need it. I was pretty sure I had one, just had to quit looking for it! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 07:41 pm:

I just paid for that one on ebay an hour or two ago. $9.99, that was pretty good. I can probably sell the TT one for that, then I'll just be out the shipping. Thank you for looking. I know what you mean, maybe now that I've given up on finding it, the other stud for my radius rod ball cap will show up. I looked everywhere for it, but I guess they are only $1.50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:30 pm:

The TT steering column lower bracket is different than the ones for cars. The columns, rods, etc are all the same. (That is assuming you also know that the '26-'27 columns have a different shaped flange and columns installed on cars with 21" wheels from the factory have lower gearing)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration