VALVE SEAT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: VALVE SEAT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:45 pm:

How much smaller is the block machined than the OD of a replacement valve seat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey D. Judson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:40 pm:

I run a small head shop, so I could probably answer your question, but I'm not sure just exactly what it is that you're asking...?

Are you wanting hard steel seats put in your Model T engine? If so, this is a fairly straight forward operation. The seats are approximately 1/8" larger than the valve head diameter.

Happy motoring! :-)

Jeffrey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:43 pm:

Jeffrey,

I believe Jim is asking how much interference fit should he have when installing a valve seat.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey D. Judson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

Yes, Seth; I think you're right. I wasn't thinking along those lines...

Jim, the hole is machined about 0.003 smaller than the seat. They need to be driven in, preferably in one heavy tap rather than several small taps. Also, the seat is installed a couple thousandths below the top of the block, and is 'pinched' in by tapping a chisel-looking device around the new seat, something not unlike making a pie crust.

I hope this answered your question.

Happy motoring! :-)

Jeffrey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

Thanks Jeffrey. That was my question.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration