New to me T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: New to me T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oleson on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:53 pm:

HI everyone, My name is Larry Oleson and I live in NW Iowa. I have decided I should join this web because I have found so much useful information on it.
My dad passed away early this spring at the age of 99 and I have received his 1918 Model T to take care of and enjoy. I thought you would like to see some pictures of this T before he started restoration and after.

scan001.jpg-irfanview sept2009 007.jpg

This model T came out of a barn that was being torn down in NE Iowa in the early 80's.
My dad restored this T when he was 90. The car has not been driven very much, so I have a lot of little things to fix on it. But overall the car runs very good.
I have found a two other T owners in my area that I can talk to if I run into a problem. I also received a hand crank coil tester that is not working at the moment, a box of Vintage Ford from the 90's, and some model T Tools. I am also a member of MTFCA and the AACA.
This is my first post and am not sure how to post pictures. I hope I did it right. Thank you for your kind attention and keep up the good work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

Larry,

Welcome aboard. I’m sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing but I’m glad you are taking care of the T. For me, every time I’m around our T’s they remind me of so many good times with my Dad and family.

There are a couple of helpful threads on posting pictures see George’s at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114896.html?1258764268 . With his info you can cut and paste the proper command from his document into you posting. There are also some screen captures in the thread http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/113685.html?1258684732 scroll down until you get to one that starts with:

By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:29 pm:
There are probably several ways that will work for posting a picture. Below is one that I just did so I could do some screen captures and show you what it looked like on my screen. I’m not a computer person – so this is probably not the most efficient way to do things – but is offered as one way to post a photo.
It also seems to depend on the type of computer and operating system you have as well as how you have the defaults set up. One of the key items is you have to have a picture that is 200kb or less. There are several photo resizers that folks use. You can right click on any picture on the forum, and safe it to your computer. It is already less than 200kb. You can practice with that and see if you can upload it. If not you may want to ask someone more familiar with computers to try it. I always ask my daughters – they seem to be great at that sort of thing and I help them out with their cars. You can also click on my name at the beginning of this post, the third line down is my e-mail address, attach the pictures and I will gladly add them to your posting.

From your profile it sounds like you have a 1918 Centerdoor. That is great – especially up north where a closed car can be a little warmer than a touring and it feels good rather than just hot. Recommend you take a look at the posting about Centerdoors at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/104972.html It has some interesting information about some of the Centerdoors. Note while we are sure that Fisher and Wadsworth both produced Centerdoor bodies for Ford Motor Company, we are not sure if both or only one had an indent in the cowl. We have both Fisher and Wadsworth bodies that have the indent. So it is one more item we need to check further on. But if you look under your rear seat bottom cushion you may find a tag and or number stamped into the wooden seat frame. Or as the discussion at that thread mentions you may find something near the passenger door – which in the case of DesMoines we believe was the assembly plant (possibly the body plant – but we are still researching to find out when the DesMoines Ford body plant produced bodies). I think you will like it.

Recommend you tell Santa that you want a copy of Bruce McCalley’s Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia [ http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm ]. It has about 15 pages on the 1915-1923 Centerdoors that you would really enjoy and of course it also covers the 1918 cars which would also cover your car. It also has the Price List of Parts that has the different parts listed and which ones were different for Wadsworth verses Fisher. Bruce’s book “Model T Ford, the Car That Changed the World” is out of print – but is still available see the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/108157.html?1259368941

There are seven different local Model T Clubs in Iowa see: http://mtfca.com/MTclubs.htm and also http://mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#ia the second one has some of the clubs repeated but they often have an e-mail address. Recommend you try to contact one or two that are closest to you or you may find you are closer to a club that is just across the state line.

Again, welcome aboard. I’m sure you will have lots of fun and meet some great people.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing, but I am amazed that he was able to restore a Model T at the age of 90. You should have a wonderful car and one to be very proud of. The next few months is good time of year to work on getting all the details worked out and have a fine running car to enjoy during the warmer months. I am spoiled, because we can drive the cars all year around here in Southern Ca. In fact we are going to have a parade followed by a tour next Saturday. A centerdoor is an interesting model and good for a climate with colder weather and more rain. I like to explain the many things that are different about a Model T, such as the location of the steering gears, the operation of the transmission, location and function of the throttle and spark levers, the operation of the magneto and coils etc. The door arrangement on your car is one of the interesting features. It also is shaped like Abraham Lincoln's hat Ha Ha.

Have fun with it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:27 pm:

Larry,

Allow me to extend a warm welcome as was extended to me just recently. This is a great forum and club, and the people here are wonderful and full of knowledge. I've learned much reading the forum and you will too.

Look forward to seeing your photos once you've mastered the photo upload instructions.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

Photos posted for Larry by Hap

Before photos of his 1918 Centerdoor:

And a photo from Sep 2009:

You have a great looking Centerdoor -- your Dad did great job! Again welcome aboard.

Respectfully posted for Larry by Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:40 am:

Larry, that is a beautiful car! Get ready to have a lot fun! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

Larry O.
That is a really sharp looking car!!
Welcome,Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:10 pm:

A swell chariot. Just the kind of car to have on a day like today, with a cold north wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd M. Sumerall on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

Larry,

That is a beautiful center door. If it runs as great as it looks, you are REALLY in business!! Welcome!

MIKE SUMERALL - AL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:27 pm:

Larry,

Beautiful centerdoor. There are several T and early Ford people in the area. Maybe a few will give you a call or email and let you know about tours, etc.

Rob Heyen
eastern Nebraska

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 05:45 pm:

Beautiful car Larry. I think the center door people have a mini networking group to discuss the finer points. At least there was a thread here suggesting that a year or so ago. A guy who has one in Chicago was telling me that the car has about a hundred pounds of glass in it. No doubt an exaggeration. It might be wise to check if there is safety glass in it.

I recently learned how to tell if it has safety glass in it and the technique is to hold up a cigarette lighter close to the window and catch the flames reflection in the glass and if there are two flames then it is safety glass. Modern cars I think have two kinds I think, isn't it shatter proof in the windshield and safety on the rest. Something like that. I'm sure someone will correct me. You found a wonderful site for learning. Welcome aboard.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration