Wheel pinstriping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Wheel pinstriping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

I haven't seen too many pictures of original wheel striping in old messages. Here's mine. I am interested in the striping color, it seems to have a golden hue. Not sure how this color could have changed over many years, but it is definitely golden now. I see in one of the publications a mention of Champagne as a pinstriping color. Could this be Champagne. The wheel is on my 1911. The pinstripe differs somewhat from the typical V style, it is about 1/8" wide at the hub end of the spoke and it tapers to about 1/32" wide down the spoke. There are two pinstriped rings around the felloe on the outside and one single stripe around the felloe on the inside of the wheel. The hub is the 6" type.

Any comments about the color or the striping or anything else?

pinstripe

Ward
Sierra Vista, AZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

Scrape a little off with a pen nife and look at it with a glass lupe (magnifier)from the substrate side if possible. I think yellow, orange or red could all end up that color depending on the paint chemistry.

Is it an Arizona car? Lots of sun to fade and bleach the color out there.

Miss going to Sierra Vista since my cousin moved to Tucson. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:32 pm:

Scrape some off the inside of the wheel to, that would eliminate visable damage if you're going to keep them original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:12 pm:

Taking a sample MIGHT work: however, what is left of the stripe paint is pretty thin, and doubtful that there is a substrate side at this point. Curious if anyone else has found this color, even if it has changed over time, on their vehicle, and what it might be.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration