Front brake update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Front brake update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:27 pm:

I was not happy with what I could accomplish using the McNerny attachment using the extended kingpin so I decided to try what Mack Cole suggested and make a new spindle. I was going to post some pictures but that has vanished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

Send 'm to me, and I'll post 'em, Les.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 10:36 pm:

Anxious to see what you finally come up with on those front brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:24 am:

As promised:

Les1

Les2

Les3

One more to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:39 am:

I am ready to send my order!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:39 am:

Les, what angle are you using between the spindle and the king pin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:49 am:

Ken
This spindle has 5 degrees of camber to accommodate 3/4" of increased wheel offset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Les, is it necessary to harden the spindle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:55 pm:

Michael
The originals aren't. Interestingly every original spindle I have looked at lately has had a hardness test done on it originally by Ford (the "dent" about 5/32" diameter). This spindle was made from heat treated 4140 so it should have good properties for this application.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration