Any machinest on here?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Any machinest on here?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

What do you think? Can a T car driveshaft be lenghtened by splicing 12" longer and run at speeds and RPMs of say 50-60 mph's without vibrations?
Or can "you" machine a new driveshaft 12" longer then the standard length of a T driveshaft?
This is for a harebrained idea for a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:58 pm:

There is no reason why it cant be done. Simply put, how much money do you have? The question is though, why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:05 am:

tyrone
An extra 12" might get you into a situation where "whip" in the driveshaft could be a problem. A possibility would be to put a spline coupling down near the pinion and then I think you would be OK along with some modern pinion bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:31 am:

Maybe a simpler way to do this if you were adding exactly 12 inches would be to use a Warford and a stock driveshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:45 am:

I think I heard somewhere that "whip" can be a problem even on the TT trucks that have a stock length driveshaft. I think that if I was going to make up an extra long shaft I would make the torque tube in two sections with flanges that would bolt together and sandwich between them a carrier that would hold a guide bearing of some sort. Probably a sealed ball bearing. If you were machining the shaft from new stock you could make the part that passes through the bearing a little larger than the rest of the shaft. That way, the bearing could be sweated onto just that area without having to be forced on over half the length of the shaft. I would also make the new shaft larger as much as other factors would bear just to help offset torque-up during hard acceleration and braking. Regarding the torque tube flanges and bearing carrier it would be easy to machine all those pieces with male and female registers so that perfect alignment would be a given. Probably, the trickiest part will be getting everything the right length. Good luck. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:31 am:

Ned's suggestion is a good way to accomplish a 12" longer driveline the easy way, and with no added problems. I did that on the "Marriaage Carriage" I built last year. It was quick and easy, and it works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:52 am:

Yes, I believe that would be a great way to accomplish my effort. Thanks Ned for bringing that up. I too thought about the carrier bearing but was unsure how to rig something like that up.
Sounds like the first problem solved (Warford) of making a car something it was not meant to be. I guess the old saying, 492 heads is better then one is true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:55 am:

I guees I'm now in the market for a Warford setup.
Funny, this 26 rolling chassis I just bought had a Warford setup on it but it had been sold prior to me coming along. Yeah, very funny now. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:25 pm:

Tyrone, didn't get the email yet. I've had a lot of trouble with them going through the forum. Try sending it direct to dstroudch47ce@hotmail.com Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration