Interesting Vehicle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Interesting Vehicle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

1932 Helicron

In the late 1930s this one-of-a-kind Helicron was placed in a barn and forgotten. More than six decades later this odd lost little gem was rediscovered, rebuilt, and reintroduced to the world... Although the manufacturer is unknown, it's believed that this car was built in France 1932. Following the first World War it was not uncommon for recently displaced airplane engineers to look towards the automobile industry for employment.

As in this example, a few entrepreneurs developed propeller-powered cars with the notion that propeller power was an efficient means of moving a vehicle. On this car, when the wooden propeller is spinning at full speed and efficiently, this little 1,000-pound boat-tailed skiff can hit freeway speeds exceeding 75 mph. This is the one and only Helicron in existence, owned by Lane Motor Museum in Nashville, TN

my photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:27 pm:

Good thing there is a windshield!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

Wonder what happens if you hit a deer or worse a skunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:20 pm:

You wear it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:20 am:

Boy, no engine braking with that thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:28 am:

No reverse, either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:33 pm:

Wouldn't want to be a careless pedestrian close to that thing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

did anyone make an after market accessory to balance the prop on a T model? Perhaps the ad would have promised to...

- Installs in minutes!
- Stops front end hop! (and wobble)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Guys
Should the rudder turn with the steering wheel?
plane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:12 pm:

I'd like to see the look on the MVD's inspector or an insurance agent's face when trying to register or insure that rareity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

Interesting Vehicle = Scary Vehicle
Ever hear of the woman who backed into a proppeller-Disaster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:51 pm:

I think I saw a car like it at the Peterson Automotive Museum in L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

Hello
I life in France and I've never heard of HELICRON. The only one car I know who has used a propeller to promote a vehicle is designed by Marcel Leyat HELICA.
Attached a few pics of the different models of HELICA.
Text description
Text description
Text description
Text description
Text description
Text description

Think you the HELICRON is an authentic car? How is the engine? Do you have photos of the engine?

Olivier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 05:21 pm:

Howard, or the sausage maker who backed into the meat grinder? Got a little behind in his work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 05:31 pm:

Sorry, the pics:

photo1
photo1
photo1

Olivier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 05:33 pm:

Again pics of Helica

photo1
photo1
photo1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:51 pm:

Absolutely uninsurable, and super interesting. I would love to see one run. Seems way to dangerous for normal driving use though.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:00 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dv-gl6RCGc

Watch it in action!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDztOmwuxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4ns3GMBag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ80i1N85qQ

These are of the Helica.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:39 pm:

On the last one, 2nd test, there seems to be a late model Tatra there that he drives past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:42 pm:

Wow! Looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book. Seriously though. I can't see how one could do anything but go forward in it and how do you stop the thing. About the only way braking and reverse could have been achieved is to use a propeller with an adjustable blade pitch control. To stop quick the blade pitch would be reversed and as soon as it stopped the blades could be feathered in a neutral position. Speed could also be controlled in this fashion as well as with the throttle. A lot of practice and concentration would be needed not to mention coordination so stay away from the "Nyquil". I would like to see a heavy woven steel wire pedestrian screen on the front as well. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:07 am:

Helicopter main and rear rotors have adjustable pitch blades. That is how they go up (main rotor positive pitch) and down (main rotor negative pitch) right (rear rotor negative pitch) and left (rear rotor positive pitch) and hover. The rear rotor always has a positive pitch to adjusted to the speed of the main rotor, which counteracts the torque of the main rotor and the tendency for the tail to spin in the same direction as the main rotor. Forward and reverse are controlled by the angle of the main rotor. What a genius Sikorsky was. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration