Starter.. switch.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Starter.. switch.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:34 pm:

Question: What is the best starter switch available? The two that I got from Mac's are not very good... any suggestions?

with the ones I have now, I have to sit there and try to get it Just Right or nothing happens. Also, the extensions they sell make them rock all over the place. I even took one apart this weekend, "fixed" it, put it back in, and still have to Get It Just Right! Gee, doesn't anyone make a GOOD one?

Thanks!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:23 am:

I have been told that the original ones are the only ones worth anything. Saw ths on tbay, give it a try. I dont have any conection to this auction just trying to help. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Model-T-Ford-starter-button-assembly-T5014-NICE-w orks_W0QQitemZ110463529138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories? hash=item19b823b0b2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:33 am:

Langs sells two types. A cheap one and a better quality one. I got that switch and am happy with its construction quality and function so far. Works every time no matter what.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:23 am:

Stay away from the re-pro starter switch.

I installed one, started the engine, only to have the internal contacts weld together.

Best to rebuild the original Ford switch.... heavy contacts to take the amperage draw of the starter. Henry knew what he was doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:53 am:

NAPA has a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:03 am:

I got a re-pro back in the early 70's (I believe from Gaslight or Mark Auto)) for my '26 coupe that has never given me a problem. Apparently they put more pride in their work back then. Now, from what I hear, the best thing to do is look for an old original, clean it up and install it. That is what I would do if I needed another one. By all accounts the ones Ford made, just about last forever. Jim Patrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennie kirkpatrick on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:10 am:

What about a starter switch from a ford 8n tractor, isn't it about the same thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennie kirkpatrick on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:18 am:

You might have to put an extension on the 8n ford switch, but I thought it was about the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:32 am:

The tractor supply stores all sell replacement starter switches for Farmall and Ford tractors, while they are not the greatest, they are far better than the others. I have been using one for some years, nary a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:40 pm:

Thanks, guys... gettin' on it!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:04 pm:

I bought a repro. starter switch and it had a dead short when I hooked up the cables. The fibre washers were junk. I ended up taking 2 old ones a the repro. one and made one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:27 pm:

Order a name brand switch from your local auto supply for an M Farmall tractor. Mount the switch on an original plate and add the extension post and you're good to go. You will have a good reliable switch, likely made in Mexico for about $20. I don't know about switches from Tractor Supply. If they are made in USA, they are probably OK. I don't think an 8N tractor starter would pull as many amps as a Model T, but if the switch was made well it might do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 07:01 am:

I bought the more expensive one from Lang's and it worked just fine. Just because a part has been reproduced does not mean that it is inadequate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:39 am:

As far as extentions go, I really like the way Ken Swan has done his. He took an old tappet (model T) and put it through the floorboard (cam follower side for your foot) with a spring between the two to hold it up. On the other side of the floorboard he put a washer over the tappet and secured it with a cotter pin. The spring always holds the tappet up and when you push down on it, it engages the switch. When you remove the floorboard the extention comes out with it. It is pretty slick.

This may not work with the orignal floorboard having a huge hole for the starter button but if your making new ones and drill a close fitting hole for the tappet it would work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:40 am:

I'm very happy with the Tractor Supply $15 switches. No extentions necessary for through-the-floorboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:42 am:

I forgot to say that you have to use the Ford mounting plate for the two 1/4" bolt frame mounting and do a little cobbling to it for the TSC switch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration