TT warford question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: TT warford question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:26 pm:

Jeff Humble asked a good question. Is the TT warford an underdrive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:28 am:

TT and car Warfords are the same.
There were 2 speed overdrive Warfords Low& direct) and there were 2 speed underdrive Warfords. Like a Ruckstell.
Some say you could turn the insides around to make it either way.
The early 3 speed aluminum Warford was underdrive, direct and overdrive.
The later and final 3 speed Warfords were cast iron with a rear mount and a u-joint in front and they had the same gearing as the aluminum one (under, direct and over).
Many think the Warford was developed and made to benifit the trucks but a lot of car owners found them very usefull too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:45 am:

What Im trying to do here is, I want to marry a car driveline with a TT frame to get a longer speedster type vehicle. I'm wanting to lenghten my driveline through the use of a secondary tranny, be it a warford or some other. AND hook up my standard lenght car driveshaft to gain what I'm going to guess will be 12 inches longer driveline. Is this being wrong headed?
Thank you Aaron for all the great info. So very helpful. Two more questions for you. Does the Car and the TT use the same u-joint? Will my car driveshaft and torque tube marry up to a Warford tranny found on a TT? Thank you so very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 12:28 am:

Yes the car and the TT use the same u-joint.
And you are right, the Warford is exactly 12 inches long. It will lengthen the wheelbase 12 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:02 am:

Sorry Aaron, you can yell at me at the next endurance run. There actually is a difference on the TT u-joint, but it does not affect the fit or assembly to the Warford. The TT u-joint does not run against the bushing inside the torque tube which acts to position the pinion gear in the car but is not done in the truck. Therefore, the truck u-joints (at least some of them) are unfinished on the back end and may even be a little bit longer. I discovered this by trying to install one in a car and then had to figure out why it didn't fit.
By the way Aaron, I'm glad to see that you are on my side. I get tired of people telling me that the iron case is for trucks and the aluminum case is for cars. I have seen many untouched trucks with the aluminum case. The fact is that jobbers and dealers sold both types to both cars and trucks owners, probably in part based on what they had available. The fit and modification is the same for both cars and trucks for the auxiliary transmission that bolts to the back of the engine. Of course, the ones (other makes) that attach at the back of the torque tube in front of the rear end are totally different fit and mount.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration