Fordor Front Floorboard Dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Fordor Front Floorboard Dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:18 am:

Does anyone have an original #1 floorboard for a 1926 - 1927 Fordor Sedan. This is the floorboard with the slots for the pedals that is closest to the firewall. If so, could you send me the dimensions for this board? The rest of the boards are the same as the earlier Fordor and I have those already. They changed the first floorboard when they changed the cowl for the 26 model year.

Thanks,
Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.woods on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 01:25 am:

Dave, I can measure mine on my 26, tomorrow, but by the time that I can get you the information, someone else may be able to let you know, quicker. I need the measurment for the rear floorboard. Was it one piece or multiple pieces?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:03 am:

Hi Terry,

Thanks - appreciate it. The rear floor board (which I'll define as the two pieces that run to the center of the car on the passengers side) were two pieces until around March or May of 1926. They then went to a one piece. I'll get you the dimensions tomorrow.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:04 am:

Here is a recent thread regarding rear floorboard dimensions. I personally took these measurements and made the drawing from my all original 1926 Fordor. I'd do the same for you of the original front floorboard but, at the moment, am unable to as I am down with the flu. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/113143.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:04 am:

Terry,

The thread Jim linked to has the dimensions for the early 26 rear floorboards. The difference between these and the later 26-27 are that early ones have the pieces which run to the center as individual pieces. On the later ones this is an assembly of three pieces joined together with two cleats on the bottom. They use a half-lap joint between the boards with 5/16 rabbets with an opening of 3/32 between the boards.

Incidentally, it appears that Ford was using whatever pieces they had for these boards. Each of Jim's boards are a different width. I have other people who have sent me dimensions from different years and they are different widths as well. The Record of Change clearly states on April 8, 1926: Redesigned, changing same from a solid board to a 3 piece design with 2 cleats, and size from 6-31/32 x 16-11/16 to 14 x 16-11/16. Changed number required from 2 to 1 and name from Floor Board #4 & 5, to Floor Board #4 Assy. So it would seem that Ford was not following its own prints in regards to these floor boards.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:22 am:

Yes David. My Model T was manufactured in February of 1926. I have heard stories of some Model T floorbords that had names of parts suppliers and other wording on them which, if true, is an indication that Ford used the wood from parts crates for some of their wood work.

If anyone here has come across such floorboards, I would be interested in hearing about it and seeing pictures of it. I have heard this story for years but have never seen evidence to subtantiate it. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

Jim,

That's good to hear. If you had said yours was a late 26 with the individual pieces I would have pretty much given up trying to understand what they were doing.

It still doesn't make sense to me that they were using random pieces for this, but apparently they were. They would have had to hand select pieces, and probably have to cut pieces to fit. This goes against everything that they were doing to streamline the manufacturing process and reduce cost. I could see them reusing wood. They actually had an entire operation dedicated to repairing and reusing the wooden shipping boxes and the bracing used in the RR cars. However, they seemed to be reusing it to make other boxes. If a big box was damaged, they would take it apart and make smaller boxes from the wood. If they were going to reuse the wood to make floor boards, you would think that they would have made the pieces to the print. That way on the assembly line the workmen could just grab two boards and screw them in and not have to individually hand fit each car.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:08 am:

Still looking for some dimensions for the first floorboard.

Thanks,
Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:28 pm:

Hi David. Did the drawing I posted for you of the rear floor board dimensions provide you with the information you were seeking?

I'm still down with the Flu but I will try and make you a detailed drawing tonight of the uppermost front floorboard piece in my '26 Fordor and post it tomorrow along with a few pictures... that is, if I am able to master the new picture posting procedure. If I don't post it, you'll know I was not able to figure it out in my Flu induced state of delirium. LOL! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:41 pm:

Hi Jim,

Yes, the dimensions you provided before are exactly what I need. I realize you have the flu, so please don't rush out and do this right now. I don't really need to have it until next week. I'm working on the other pieces for the front and on the rears now so I have enough to keep me busy for a bit. Whenever you are feeling better and can get to it that will be fine.

Dave S.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration