What steering gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: What steering gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael schlag on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 06:41 am:

I would like to convert my 1913 Model T speedster to having a steering gear box. What have some of you used? I am hoping for something small and I prefer it not to show much so I'd rather not use rack and pinion. Thanks for the help! Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:20 am:

Vega, Suzuki Samari, Geo Tracker, ?39? Ford, Speedway Motors sells a half rack I might try someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:44 am:

Check prior threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:03 am:

Michael, go to www.ModelTmotor.com and type in steering box. A ton of results come up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael schlag on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:26 pm:

Thanks Tim! Off to the junkyard! I appreciate the input from both of you. Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:59 pm:

I prefer to keep my antiques as antiques. Always feel safe with T steering, even in my speedsters at 70mph.

W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

I always had a death grip on the steering wheel at speeds above 50.

I had the modren '37 Ford steering on by the time I blew a tire off at 65 on the 605. Steering was a non-event. I'm not going back.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

You know, I am kind of surprised nobody has taken on the challenge of reproducing a factory made Sprague or a Ross type gearbox for the raging masses. I would think there would be at least a small market but decent market for them.

They were nicely made bolt in units. See pages 162 and 164 of "Speed and Sport" book for reference pictures.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration