Foot Brake Equalizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Foot Brake Equalizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:46 pm:

Has anyone installed the Foot Brake Equalizer on thier 26-27 Ts? Any comments? Does it work? Any suggestions on installation and adjustment? I just bought this to add to my 15 Gentleman's Roadster which has a 26-27 rear axle and large drum brakes. This car has a Chicago E transmission and I am hoping this will work instead of going the more expensive route with Rocky Mountains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

I got one and have yet to install it so no help here but I also want to know about the experiences with these units.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 08:21 pm:

It is straight forward to install, and yes it works. Hard part for some may be to weld the ear to the brake pedal, but the rest of it bolts right up. I found the spring kit to be to heavy and ended up taking the springs off and using some $2 springs from the hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:49 pm:

Thanks Jeff, that is reassuring.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:58 pm:

Thanks also. I'll let you know how the installation goes. Hopefully I can get started on it this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:15 am:

That is the third time I have heard a knock against the return springs. At least that is an easy isue to address.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:23 am:

I looked at this kit and looked like it you no longer have a parking brake.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:42 am:

Tim,
Not so. The brake equalizer operates by the foot brake or the hand brake, applying the foot brake will not move the hand brake lever and moving the hand brake lever will not move the foot brake pedal. Applying the hand brake will override the foot brake since the equalizer bracket is mounted to and rotates on the hand brake shaft, so it is still providing a parking brake.

Be sure to set it up to augment the transmission brake not replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:01 am:

Thank you Jeff.
That is why have not put one on my car yet.

Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration