Period Photo - the Cow Detector of 1923

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Period Photo - the Cow Detector of 1923
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:01 am:

I will just let you all explain this one to me!!
Cheers
Adrian

cow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:03 am:

Could be a vacuum feed off the manifold to drive the 'apparatus'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:07 am:

Not a bad discount £80 down to £21, times must have been tough then just like now.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:20 am:

But the question still looms,,,What is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:36 am:

Will,it's a famous cow detector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:04 am:

Simple,It was a apparatus to sell Canadian cars with left side front doors!! It could also be used to save wear&tear on the right side of the hood!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:29 am:

Ok, I got it ! It's an Espresso Coffee Maker, using fresh milk?
coffee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:29 am:

Adrian, since the picture comes from Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, I think you should explain it to us! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:34 am:

Adrian,

I don't think that it will work here in the western US. I am pretty sure that the only famous cows here are long dead. Daisy from Bordens and Elmer (while Elmer is a name with some sticking power) are, I am almost sure, long gone. :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:43 am:

Wasn't Elmer a bull?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

Early attempt to run car off cow manure, methane gas! I think pig manure would have worked better!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:20 pm:

Here is my best guess, but I have been wrong before <@^@>

The apparatus consists of a cow milking machine feeding a
“Milk Measuring and Sampling Means” to determine the
quantity of milk being delivered by cows when culling the herd.
Robert Preston of New Zealand patented the measuring device part of the rig.

http://tinyurl.com/ykomxpx

Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:01 pm:

Hmmm url's still work - do I dare try posting a photo?

Adrian's photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:34 pm:

Nothing to this photo posting, just followed Hap's tutorial.
Thanks Hap

Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

A key point to remember is that if one of us here in the states is fortunate enough to find one of these units at a swap meet, keep in mind that it will work in reverse up here in the Northern Hemisphere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:23 pm:

Harold, do you mean that cows will use it to detect Model T's? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:07 pm:

Is that how you get barn fresh T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:34 am:

If, indeed this is a milking apparatus for measuring how much a cow gives, and, if it works backwards in North America, then the cows are going to explode. That could be messy. Always try to avoid exploding cows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Vaughn on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

Having grown up in Oklahoma in the late 40s and 50s, I'm not sure, but I think I may have seen a few of these ......way down in the hills....in southeast Okla. They weren't on a car though. Whatever the product was, it was usually used to fill one gallon earthen ware containers...the consumers of this product seemed to be very very happy with its quality. Bill V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:47 am:

I still have a little bit of old Elmer in a bottle on the shelf here so he is not completly gone yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:55 am:

Maybe on both coasts Cows are rare and someone may need a detector to find them. Here in the middle of every thing all I have to do is drive out of town in any direction and I can find cows and buffalo in as little as five minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:21 pm:

I'm sure its not this, but....
http://www.wikipatents.com/6339999.html-1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gaylen Gammons on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:28 pm:

I think that what we REALLY need is a "Bull Detector" in Washington, D.C.!!! Of course, it may not work properly, what with the amount of "bull" being generated. The machine would have no reference for zeroing (calibrating for absence of "bull") and the reading would be off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration