Passing along what we love about Ts to the next generation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Passing along what we love about Ts to the next generation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W,Coward Sr on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:18 am:

For the past year I have enjoyed reading the forum and getting help with my 1925 T touring. There was a story on the forum about a little boy's dream. It was about my father and I getting this rundown T

and fixing it up.

Then in 1983 my father sold the T without me knowing about it. I was able to get the T back in 2007 after many tries. IT was in storage for that time and was in bad shape. I started out on that long journey to fix it like when my dad had it, a driver.

1925 today

(For more on that story see the newspaper article at: http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007107150145 )

My father has long past away and working on the T brings back great memories. Now I need to pass along what I have learned to the next T person. He is my grandson. His name is Jordan, a 19 month old Model T mechanic. I thought driving the car was fun, but loosen a nut and give him a wrench and sit back and enjoy. Please enjoy the pictures.

Thanks, John, Sumter SC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:51 am:

Thank you John.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Tell your neighbor Hap Tucker hello if you know him.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Protexter on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:13 am:

John, Who is having more fun, you or Jordan. Keep him at it and let them get there hands dirty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:09 am:

John, Your Grandson is lucky. My dream of one day owning a Model T was spawned in the summer of 1963 when, as a 9 year old boy, I read two articles on the Model T in the July 1963 issue of Popular Science. That dream was not realized until 1970 when I answered a "For Sale" ad for a 1926 Model T. That was the first Model T I ever saw and it was love at first sight. The selling price just happened to be $600.00, which was my life's savings. I bought it with cash and still have it. Your lucky Grandson has the real thing! What a great thing and what a great Grandpa you are! He may wind up being another Henry Ford who developed his interest in machinery on the family farm at an early age. At the very least, he will be part of the next generation to carry on the heritage of the Model T, well into the 21st century. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John W,Coward Sr on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:42 pm:

Seth
Yes, I know Hap he lives about 3 miles from me.
Infact Hap helped me with the posting and many thanks to him.
Thanks for the kind words about the grandson.
John Coward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:59 pm:

You are blessed to have your grandson to help you and be all interested in granddaddy's T. I envy you.

Glad you know Hap. He was once my neighbor though I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him until he was your neighbor. I'll bet he's a great neighbor.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:20 pm:

I've found that kids LOVE old cars, especially Model T Fords, this is why I take every opportunity to let the kids climb into my Speedster, blow the horn and pretend to drive it while their parents take their picture. It's my primary reason for attending local car shows - the kids love it!
Anyone who has a "Do Not Touch" sign on their car at a car show can kiss my big fat tookus.
car show kids

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:29 pm:

Here is my daughter with her first Model T Spanner. She is just turning 11 months old, so it will be another 6 months or so before she is doing any serious work!

sample

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

John, a lesser man, would fear, such a young child, so close to his beloved car. You are a true Gentle Man, to allow such a wonderful thing, to happen, in the life of such a young person.

Bob, and Nevin, the same goes to you... GOD bless you all, for allowing your children, and Grandchildren, to come first in your lives...

Mere words, just cannot express, how I feel right now, after reading this post, and seeing these pictures...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

Thank you Thunder. My fondest memories are of my father in his long coat driving the old 1914 Buick with our family on board. I still have the Buick as well as the Model T, and my little girl will be fond of them as well (I hope). She is inheriting them!!

She is going to her first Model T Christmas BBQ this weekend. I'm so excited and so proud...not only of her, but the fine bunch of people we call the Model T Ford Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:06 am:

No need to thank me Nevin. I'm envious (sp?) I hope someday, to be able to share, what I have achieved, with my children, and/or grandchildren. Sadly, due to recent events, I guess that wont be happening for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Rose on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:13 am:

Ain't life wonderful. smiles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Rose on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:29 am:

Ain't life wonderful!smile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Rose on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:50 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:43 am:

Thank you and wow. My kids are at that age where it is "neat", but not very absorbing (19,17). I will definitely start the grandkids on the T ASAP. I just have to wait for them to get here, but when they do.....I better get them some greasy clothes because I always end up greasy when I do anything to my T.

Those are some lucky kids for sure!

Mery Christmas and GOD bless you all.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:13 am:

"I always end up greasy when I do anything to my T." Ain't that the truth!

My grandson (4 1/2) was over a couple of months ago and he wanted to go out in the garage with me. My wife says, "don't let him get grease on all over him". So I set him up with a couple of pieces of wood with nails started in them (thinking that will keep him clean) and give him a hammer. A few minutes later he is fooling around with a T engine I have on the floor that has every bit of grease and dirt on it that it ever earned.

You know how that turned out. As my wife was cleaning him up and getting on me he said, "It's ok Grammy, me and Grampy were doing men stuff."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:10 pm:

John,

Keep him in there with you. I'm betting he never looses interest!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration