Job for a T machinist

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Job for a T machinist
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:49 am:

Possible job making a 10" longer steering shaft. A couple questions please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:56 am:

Have done that. Only in reverse, as I shortened a shaft to get more belly room at the wheel :-)

Just keep the little ridge or bump out on the flange at the triangle end where the steering pinion gears mount indexed or in-line with the keyway at the taper end. If you look at your shaft you will see that ridge in line with the keyway.

Just cut the shaft in two, index correctly and weld 'er up.

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:18 am:

How I would do it is take two shafts and part them in a lathe making one about 1" longer than you need the total length to be. Since the shaft is about .750" in diameter, I would drill a 3/8" hole into the end of one, and then turn the other shaft down to about .320 (+/-) where the two shafts will socket together. I also would take the shaft with the hole drilled into the end, and bevel the entire end about 75 where you will not have a complete round weld. Then just clamp it and TIG weld it together.

I probably have left out a few details but that is the jest how I would do it. Probably other ways too, but the thing I like to see is a weld that goes at an angle so if it should fracture, the chances of you suddenly losing all steering is less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:41 am:

Since I am 6'3", 240 lbs. I like the idea of shortening the steering shaft for more room behind the wheel. Of course any alteration in the length of the steering shaft will also have to include the same alteration to the throttle and spark levers. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:42 am:

Since I am 6'3", 240 lbs. I like the idea of shortening the steering shaft for more room behind the wheel. Of course any alteration in the length of the steering shaft will also have to include the same alteration to the throttle, spark levers and shaft housing. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

Add a ujoint or two while you're at it, and you can leave the stock lower bracket, and mount the steering wheel at optimum location.

AircraftSpruce.com has a nice 3/4" ujoint.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration