No spit fan conversion help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: No spit fan conversion help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

I want to convert my 26 fan hub to sealed bearings. The method outlined in the mtfca engine book uses unsealed bearings.

Any info or advice on bearings needed or proceedures to follow?

Thanks all, Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

P.S. I know about the premade unit available from suppliers but I love a challenge and I am in no position to not be cheap.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:16 pm:

Erich,

Jeff Humble posted his conversion using needle bearings with integral seals. It looks pretty slick to me. Do some searching and you may find it. If not, Jeff will probably chime in and help.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:16 pm:

Go to your local Bearings and Seals stores,give them the unsealed bearing number and they can usually find a sealed on to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:21 pm:

Erich,

See "1926 Fan Pulley" on Forum 2008 for Jeff's solution. Last posted to in January of '09.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

January 08, 2009 to be more concise. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 09:28 pm:

Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:09 am:

Erich,
Here is an oler thread to convert to needle bearings and add an oil seal, but it is a wet bearing that requires oil in the hub. I do not know of a sealed bearing that will work.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/78036.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:27 am:

Thanks guys, that does help me out. I also figured out what I have been doing wrong with searches here and should be better able to find this stuff in the future.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:39 am:

Like Bud says...bearing houses can convert an unsealed bearing to a sealed equivalent for just about anything.

Generally speaking, as general advice to those who don't do this stuff too often...here is the syntax for the SKF bearing system...

Not for this application, but as an example...

Say that there is a bearing that matches SKF 6205. A deep groove ball bearing. Simply making the number 6205-RS gives you a single sided seal of the exact same bearing. Making the number 6205-2RS gives you a double sided seal arrangement. There are lots of other alpha suffixes that can be added to specify other things, but not usually needed for general work.

FWIW..........a 'tip of the day'

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration