Starter bendix bronze bushing question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Starter bendix bronze bushing question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pep C. Strebeck on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

Just a quick question about the bronze bushing and oil seal.

The vendors sell the new two piece bushing with the seal, or you can order just the seal and cut your original. My question is this; Why cut the bushing into two pieces? Why not just cut the end off and add the seal at the bendix end of the snout instead of the armature end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:16 pm:

Pep, I installed a seal on a starter a wile back seems to me that there was an actual reason for splitting the bushing. I am going to look at some of my starters and see if I can jog the memory a bit. But it does work very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:16 pm:

Pep
Perhaps this link will help?
Starter Seal Procedure
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICK NELSON on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

And thatís your answer. Hay Ron did you get the pictures of the coil tester I bought?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:16 am:

If you put the seal at the Bendix end, the bushing won't receive lubrication. The bushing needs to be oiled. The seal is placed at the armature end to keep the oil out of the starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:07 am:

Am i wrong, the bendix is in the area of the flywheel and it is running in oil. So it is my feeling that the benix will get oil. the seal that was put in when I had the front bushing installed, it should get oil.

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:58 am:

I agree with Ken. I installed my seal on the armature end to allow oil to the bushing. Works great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration