My new T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: My new T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 06:13 pm:

Every one who says once you get one T more will follow. Here is my 2nd. A '21, little rougher than what I wanted but it was available. Give me something to keep busy on.
Drove 1850 Miles in 36 hours with a friend. Thanks to coffee and nicotene!
greg

/image{C:\greg\PHOTOS\1921t}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 06:15 pm:

Try it again Greg only use a backslash \ in front of image.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter vanlare on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 03:33 pm:

\image

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

OK finally got this figured out.
This T has a '27 engine in it, but I did get the original '21 engine that matches the title.

image{1921T 003resize1.jpg}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Oops I'll do it again

/image{1921T 003resize1.jpg}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:07 pm:

1921T 003resize1.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:10 pm:

Greg, add a space or two before you start typing in \image{1921T 003resize1.jpg}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Ducharme on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

I don't think that is too rough, looks like my best one.

One question, the engine looks like a 26-27. Any comments?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Greg, looks like you've got your work cut out for you. Or maybe it just needs a bit of a dusting off.

A little paint on the wheels, blanket on the seats, some windex, and NuFinish and you should be ready to go.

Hope someday you can get both engines working. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:07 pm:

I pump up the tires, rinse it off and go for a drive. Anybody can have a restored one, I like the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe stearns on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

Greg, I like your "new car". Just a little TLC and your good to go. I was wondering what the stuffing is in the seat backs--I have been looking at a '14/'15 that is about the same condition and it has what looks like horse hair sticking out of the seat backs. Have fun!! JOE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

For Greg,

It looks great. Also, from the photo you shared it looks like it is the typical 1920 and earlier style touring body – i.e. 5 piece rear seat section, wider arm rests, top saddle support comes down from the top of the back seat rather than the typical 1921 with the three piece rear seat section, narrower arm rests, and the top saddle support comes through the side of the rear body panel. You may also have a non-typical 1921 that used one of the last of the 1920 style bodies for some reason? [Ref Bruce McCalley’s book “Model T Ford” page 317 and the related information on his CD [ http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm ]] If you look on the right front floor board riser – if it is a Beaudett body, there is a good chance it will have a number that includes the date code (see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/113666.html?1257654140 ) where I snagged the photo that Dave Hjortnaes kindly posted. Note it ends in a “-20” which we think indicates the body was made in 1920. ) If you order any body parts it will be important to have the correct date range so the panels fit correctly. Again – great find!

For Joe,

Yes, Ford used “Animal Hair” as stuffing. That would commonly be horse hair. See the 1916 style rolled/padded arm rest end (rather than 1917 style metal cap at the arm rest end) picture below:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:55 pm:

That ol girl is in great shape! Throw some blankets over those seats and see if you can take it for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

There must have been a lot of cold, naked horses around in the days before sponge rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

Looks good to me!
Git her runnin and take her for a spin~!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:33 am:

I'm not one of the pro's around here, I'm driving my first Model T as well but here's what I would do (and did).
Fill the tires, fill the radiator, fill the gas tank, change the oil, charge (or replace) the battery and see if it will run. They often do, even after sitting for decades!
If it runs, throw some blankets over those seats (chase the "critters" out first) and see if it will drive AND STOP!
If you don't get that far, fix your way to that point. The folks here were great helping me do it. Then, buy a piece of glass for the bottom half of the windshield, scrape the krud off the top half, (I suppose you could wash it, if you must) and enjoy it until it quits.
From that point forward, Ol' Henry's little marvel will tell YOU what needs to be "fixed". Oh, and don't drive any farther away from home than you would like to walk back from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:46 am:

Do yourself and anyone riding with you a favor and replace both windshield halves. If you are in doubt as to the necessity of this,simply hit one of the originals with a tap from a ball peen hammer. Be sure to wear safety goggles while performing this test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:52 am:

Do yourself and anyone riding with you a favor and replace both windshield halves. If you are in doubt as to the necessity of this,simply hit one of the originals with a tap from a ball peen hammer. Be sure to wear safety goggles while performing this test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:18 am:

Looks like a heck of a good start to me. I bet you'll be surprised at what it will look like when you get her cleaned up a bit. Don't be in too big of a hurry to tear into it until you feel her out a little bit. Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:48 am:

I agree. Nice car. just get her fixed enough to drive then fix as you go. No doubt some parts will need fixing to start with but some wont need fixing for some time. Post some pics along the way. Can't wait to see some actions pics of her driving. Have a grand time.....

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 02:49 am:

Looks like it was in a barn. What were the storage conditions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 07:20 am:

My experiance is always that there was a good reason why the car was put in the barn and taken out of use. Often because of something going wrong, like a broken engine mount. Sometimes you're lucky and it just got superseded by something newer, and was in good running condition when put away. Let's hope this one is one of those good ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:10 am:

OH Look...Hap has a crew repairing the seats for Greg already!

Nice car enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will look for the serial number Hap and let you know if I find anything. Its my second T and I dont think I'll ever fix up the old roadster pick up, too many people like it the way it is. The engine is a 26-27 but I did get the original engine with it, matches the title. It has never been fooled with other than the engine and firewall. It has some rust and the wood needs some work but is pretty much the vintage I wanted,low hood. Since my wife passed away I need something to keep me occupied and out of the bars, its good therapy for me and gives me something to look for when I go to swap meets. Want to make a good running driver out of it
Some of you might remember this car. The fellow that had it posted to this forum asking about a value for it, I emailed him and next thing you know I bought it. He knew nothing about cars and less about model Ts. He travels to Ohio often and promises to check in on its progress. It was stored in a corn crib since 1965.
So I bought another T, made a new friend and went to Ida Grove Iowa, all good in my book! I love this hobby.

greg

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration