Silicon beaded head gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Silicon beaded head gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with the new silicon beaded head gaskets? They are the most expensive and the advertising says the best. I had a head gasket blow and put one on but haven't been more than 50 miles. I sent my coils to get rebuilt and thought about getting the head milled just to see if it's more peppy but hate to since I just spent $30 on that gasket. It should be plenty peppy anyhow with 4 coils that work right instead of 2 that sort of work and 2 that barely work. Next time should I just save my money and get a copper one? Those have worked for years. Or are these new ones improved?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:24 pm:

Corey,

I have one on my T because there was a small leak at the back of the engine. It stopped the leak. However, always before on both the T and the A, I have used the copper gaskets with excellent results. I guess the silicon beaded gasket might compensate for an uneven head or block, but that could be cured permanently by decking the block and planing the head.

Just my $.02

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:50 pm:

That's what happened to me, a leak at the rear of the engine. One day it blew. After putting on the gasket I still at one point saw a bit of leakage. Just a drop or 2. That's another reason I thought about milling the head. I can't do much to the block without major work. I guess I'll just see what happens. It may have sealed itself better. Before those tiny water passages were stopped up. I cleaned them out thinking it probably aided in heating that area up giving gasket problems. I've got a low head and I still could see letters on the smooth surface so I guess it's never been resurfaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.woods on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:58 am:

Major suppliers catalogs say these gaskets won't work with Z heads. Anyone know why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:52 am:

I'd like to know that also, for future reference.

Geo.n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:11 pm:

Don`t know about silicone bead gaskets but I`ve never had leak problems with any T head gasket after coating both sides with Copper Coat spray, (Some people coat with aluminum paint-)--this normally takes care of irregularities in head/block surfaces.Works on the Z head also----paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

My Model A buddy only uses aluminum paint. Says it gives the engine a nice "finished" look. Aren't we a quirky bunch:-)

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:52 pm:

Mike, nice to know your still around. Missed you at the Wallace Fish Fry today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:10 am:

Uncle Jack said it was a good time!!! I was giving the SAT to a bunch of very happy high school kids:-) Would have rather been withyou guys in Wallace. The kids would have too I'll bet!

I hear Brian is serving another term....good for him!

Hope to be at the next meeting!
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:18 am:

I also was wondering why they say these silicone bead head gaskets won't work with Z heads.

Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:08 am:

My guess is that it has to do with the different rate of expansion (due to heat) between the iron block and the aluminum head. Modern engines using silicone gaskets have aluminum blocks and heads.
Perhaps this is another example of some old fangled engineering (copper head gasket) being a better solution????? Just my two cents worth. (perhaps overvalued) Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration