Gas lights on a 15?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Gas lights on a 15?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

From Shorpy.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7042?size=_original

Sure looks that way.

I think they came out that way early on.
The owner must have been satisfied.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

If you blow up the picture it sure looks like a bulb appears in the light not a burner. Perhaps they are after market electric or gas converted to electric. I agree they have the style of gas lamps and it looks like they have a hood on top.

Why the two license plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:30 pm:

Herb,

I agree with Jack, those gas headlamps appear to be converted to electric. Compare the picture below to one with gas headlamps. The mirror is in the back of the gas lamp and not up front as shown below.

Also note that the 1915-1916 style touring with the electrified gas headlamps has the cowl lamps without the brass trim. That combined with the carriage bolt in the side of the body means it is highly unlikely it is an early 1915. The carriage bolt probably means Apr 1915 or later. And the all steel cowl lamps would place it later in the 1915 to 1916. So I really doubt that it came from the factory that way.

If you look at the brass radiator delivery truck on the car chassis next to it, you can clearly see the 1915 brass trimmed headlamps and side lamps. But note that it has the 1917 and later curved front fenders. So I think quite a bit had already been swapped by 1919 when the photo was taken.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration