ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/04/09 PHILIP IRREVERSIBLE STEERING CLUTCH

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/04/09 PHILIP IRREVERSIBLE STEERING CLUTCH
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 11:21 am:

Here’s a seldom seen new old stock accessory. The clutch was designed to simply mount in between your gear housing and brass threaded cover. This installation eliminated any wandering or sudden "bump steer" that could plague the thin-wheeled Model T. This was accomplished with heavy duty springs and cams located internally. The clutch includes complete instructions and diagram printed on the box. The steering gear cover shown in the photos was not supplied with the unit; you used the one on your car. I screwed the cover on to show how it would look before you pressed the steering wheel on.
philipsclutch philipsclutch1
philipsclutch2 philipsclutch3
philipsclutch4 philipsclutch5
philipsclutch6 philipsclutch7
philipsclutch8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

Arlington VA

Neato. Isn't there some truthful joke about the Ford steering damper being the driver's thumbs?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

In the last picture it appears that the driver is lighting a cigar, with no hands on the steering wheel. It must be one darn good match to stay lit in an open top Ford cruising at speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 05:14 pm:

Jack,I would guess it's a made up picture?? I can't even think of takeing the hands off the wheel if Lizzie is moveing!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 07:52 pm:

Having been a victim of a few of those 'once every few years it loses it way' and turns into a Mexican jumping bean on a turn and a pothole bump...and the steering wheel trying to whip back and forth dramatically in response...this sort of sounds like a very good idea!

Actually been through the front end several times and so has someone else...have never found reason for it to rear its ugly head when it does,,,,simply stop the car, start again and all is always fine! Caster and camber are spot on, spindles right and tight, tie rod set as right as I can make it, wheel bearings set right, wheels that run true, wishbone good at the pan knuckle...but every couple of years, it just decides to go hoppity hop on a left turn, manhole/pothole bump for no reason and then won't do it for a few more years.

Oh, the fun of a T and their idiosyncrasies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:50 am:

Jay, I have an accessory that is supposed to help with the same thing. It was made in Stanberry MO. It consists of a felt lined clamp that goes around the steering gear case that has wing nuts to adjust the pressure. There are two brackets that clamp to two of the steering wheel spiders. By tightening the clamps around the gearcase, it acts as damper on the steering, I guess<grin>. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:15 pm:

I just bought one of these Irreversible Steering Clutches NOS off eBay. It took 5 mins to fit and appears to do exactly what they claim. Jack the front end up, grab the front wheel and you cannot move it, but you can turn the steering wheel as normal.

Weather here has been too foul for a roadtest - I will report when I have driven it. One potential problem I can see is that you will have to steer out of corners as will as in 'cos it will stop any self-centring effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

Jem, thanks for sharing. I have not tried driving with one installed. Please let us know how your test drive goes.

As a note: This unit is for the 4 to 1 steering columnn planet gears NOT the later 5 to 1 gears. Mixing gears could pulpify your health.

Dave, I have one of those units.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:48 pm:

Jay, I figured you did. The guy that I bought mine from had two 55gallon drums full of them. Bought them when the store that sold them went out of business a few years ago. He had them on ebay for quite awhile as I recall. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:56 am:

I have one of these steering clutches on my boat-tail. Have had it NOS and only part of the box for many years, I am glad to see a better box in the world. As to driving, I have only had it on the road a few months now. It has completed one SCVMTFC 200 mile endurance run. It seems to drive very well, but at one point, backing up, it did do what Ts are known for, so they won't stop all undesired motion from the front. I suspect that after it wears a little it will become less effective.
I had finally decided to use it, in part, because I needed a way to move the steering wheel back a bit, and it added over an inch.
W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration