Need to get new starter to replace crank - help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Need to get new starter to replace crank - help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 06:16 pm:

I have a 1918 model t touring with hand crank. How can I get it to a electric or other starter.

Are their conversion kits???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 06:31 pm:

Most people change the flywheel to the '19 and later version and put the '19 and later transmission cover on. There are kits available to charge the battery from the magneto.
There are a very few original conversions kicking around that cranked the engine from the front. They are rare, fairly valuable and maybe not that good (or not).
A comment though; a well tuned T will start on a couple of pull ups on the crank. If yours won't a electric starter is only hiding the problem. If you need the starter because of physical infirmity then that is another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:15 pm:

Les,

To be honest I have not even tried to start the car. I just purchased it today and will noit take delivery funtil monday. All I know is the car has not been running for 35 years - but was perfect when put up in garage. I goit this from a very close friend so I know I is the truth. I was starting to look into the starter because folks said it would easy breaking an arm trying to start with hand crank. I have since found out how easily iut should start.

Thanks for the information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 08:32 pm:

Mark,

Do yourself a big favor and find yourself a 'newest best friend! T guys come out of the woodwork for fun......

I won't post where you live, you can do that if you wish, as many members just don't know how to use the profile page links.

Just a clue to welcome you to the world of T'ing. If you think you are imposing on someone...you're not and never will...the gang always turns too to make a convert a legacy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

Mark
Welcome to the fraternity.
I have owned a '27T for 35 years. I also have a '13 T. The '13 starts nice on crank and there are times I will start the '27 with the crank. Yes it is possible to injure yourself cranking it. Injuries are rare though. Usually they involve a "friend" helping you start your car and they advance the spark with out telling you. I do respect your right to decide for yourself.
As George says, find yourself a New T friend (one who has owned and driven T's for years. Experience is a dear school, it does not all have to be your own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:20 am:

Mark,
I will add my welcome to you and agree with the other posts. Finding some one who owns/drives a Model T would be very helpful. Just in case you don't find someone, there are some things to check/process to follow, before you try to start the car in my opinion. Many a T driver has cranked to exhaustion only to discover no spark or no gas, etc.

There are another set of things to think about before you drive the car.
Since you got this from a close friend I suppose the friend could help you get the car ready to run, start it and give you pointers on driving an stopping. I encourage you to get the help personally or ask lots of question here so that this will be a fun and safe experience for you.
I received lots of help and instruction, especially in the early years and I see this as a big part of my enjoyed the hobby.
The are books available from parts suppliers on this site, like Langs, etc. For example on page 276, 277 of "The Model T Fordowner" there is a article on starting a Model T (Cold Weather, etc)

I live in Calif. near SF or I would come over and work with you myself. A lot of the fun of Model T's is working with and driving with other folks who have T's. I have found T people to be helpful and generous.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:01 am:

I really appreciate the info. I plan on looking for as many books as possible. I recieved the car from an older lady whose husband died. The car sat up for many many years in the garage. She has never driven the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration