TT early rear wheels JAXON???????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: TT early rear wheels JAXON???????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:39 am:

Hi, I have a pair of rear TT wheels that are off from an early chassis that I bought. They are wood fellow, but have been changed over to balloon tires of 33 x 5 instead of solid tires like most of the wood fellow rear wheels had. On each of the lugs it also says "JAXON". Any ideas on what breed of parts where put together to make this work?

I also came across a pair of dual spring Hassler shocks for the rear of a TT. Where these common or should I tuck these away in my rare find pile? Thanks Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:07 am:

Paul, those dual spring Hasslers are pretty common, better send them to me. Just kiddin'. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 08:35 am:

Those 'Jaxon' wedges are pretty common on T wheels, just a brand name of the clincher rim mounts. Here is an adv showing several styles you see on wheels and in parts boxes at swaps.

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:38 am:

Hasslers for a TT??? I didnt think them rear springs flexed enough that a Hassler would help anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:42 am:

I've finally acquired a double TT rear set of Hasslers by having to buy another TT, so now the rest of the TT is for sale, only took 50 years to find a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:58 am:

I bought a set of double rears for a TT at Indy swap meet a few years ago. I don't think the fellow they went to has ever installed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:02 pm:

Paul,
Post a picture of the latch that holds the rim ends together and we may be able to ID the rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:15 pm:

Dan - Thank you for posting the Demountable Rim Parts list above. Could you tell us where that list came from? It looks like a Ford Parts List. I have an original Model T Parts book dated May 1, 1929 that looks very much like the list you posted, but doesn't have the Wedges and Clamps section like you posted.

I have an early aftermarket set of demountable wheels and rims, but there is no manufacturer identification on them anywhere. The combination lug & nut for these wheels has a "30" on one side and a "5" or "S" on the other side, but that's it. My lug & nut closely resembles #11632 on your list.

Could you please email me a copy of the list so I can examine it better? My email is given in my profile.

Thanks very much, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:39 am:

This is what I love about this forum. Ask and you shall receive. The wheels are in really rough shape. All the pieces are there, but the wood is bad and the rims are very rusty. I hadn't seen the jaxon brand clamp before, so I was curious. I will probably sell them and install a newer steel fellow pair that I purchased before I even had a TT project. I also had toyed around with selling the hasslers. I am building a tow truck and they probably wouldn't work well in theory of the weight of a car at the rearmost end of the frame when hanging on the boom. I may be wrong, but I just figured a tow truck would have been one of the last TT"S to want a softer ride? Who knows? Well thanks again. When I get some time, I will post some pics of the wheels and hasslers to share what they look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:59 am:

Paul the boys in Texas who were at the 100th MTFCA party with the TT ( 18) wheeler tractor, trailer setup are looking for a set of TT double-Hasslers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:31 pm:

John

Was this the big TT rig you saw there? Was pretty sight to see :-)
pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:16 pm:

Yes and I know the boys and the father who was there also in an accessoried T bodied coupe, they called me wanting my set that I'd just bought, but I turned them down as I have a 1917 Freuhouf (sp) trailer 13 foot long w/ solid rear tires, and I have an open seat and top and demontable solid front and rear tires for my 18 wheeler if I live long enough to put it together, thanks DAN

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration