Vac advance distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Vac advance distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 03:28 pm:

Just went and picked up a load of parts and this motor was fitted with a vacuum advance. I don't know anything about T distributors but I thought you still had to use the spark advance lever? Also what year oil cap is that? The block is a late 1921 but it's all a hodge-podge of parts. post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David_Cockey on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:15 pm:

It's replacement distributor, originally designed for a more modern car which used vacuum advance. Depending on the distributor and drive gear setup, the distributor may run in reverse from the design direction. If so the vacuum "advance" will function as vacuum retard if connected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:16 pm:

This is Frank Harris using my son's computer and not Bill. I Frank have removed the internal advance parts and cut the vacuum advance unit box off and epoxied the hole up and checked it up in a lathe and cleaned it up so you don't know it was ever there. Then wire down the advance plate or fly-ball governor so it will not move and then run it like you should with your spark lever. The modern distributors with vacuum advance are not calibrated to the rpm or loads of a Model T and never do their job correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

This one is pot metal and the bottom is all broken. I like coils anyhow. Just thought it was odd having an advance.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration