More junk , wife says

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: More junk , wife says
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:18 pm:

I just got back from Dallas with a trailer load of parts. It will take a while to sift through it all. I don't know the difference between T and A wire wheels but it has 4 on a 25 and earlier frame. A starter block with a non-starter hogshead and a brass hub fan. An extra rear end, front end steering columns (one is a 1915) a 1918 engine a 4 dip pan, 2 more hogsheads and a frame like a test stand to put a motor on that someone built out of a T frame. Anyhow I'm thinking I hit the jackpot with my "junk". post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:25 pm:

Cory: You done good, Kid!
thumbs up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:25 pm:

T wire wheels are on a 5" diameter bolt circle and A wheels are on a 5.5" diameter bolt circle. A wheels were 21" diameter in 1928 and 1929 and 19" in 1930 and 1931.

If those are A wheels, there will likely be adapters so they'll fit T wood-spoked wheel hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

Well done Corey! Looks like a Model A front axle from here. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

Corey, sorry forgot the (E)???
Harvey ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:16 pm:

They are 21" wheels, 5" so must be T wheels. That is 5" center to center on the opposite side? I think I did it right. It's a T axle. post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:17 pm:

Corey,

T-stuff is nice -- but be sure not to go past the "my spouse can't stand any more stuff" limit. As a bachelor I can remember storing antique car parts in the kitchen, living room, etc. In the interest of marital harmony and so I donít become a bachelor real soon, I work with my better half to come to an agreeable / reasonable amount of T and other old car stuff. Funny she is very comfortable with fewer, but Iím ok with saying no additional stuff before I fix something we already have. But each family needs to work it out for their situation. (Oh to be in desert southwest where outside storage is a viable option for frames etc. and to have a small knoll that would hide stuff from viewÖ.) The key thing is to keep it fun for the entire family.

And if you would like help in identifying some of that really neat stuff, just post some pictures etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:49 pm:

Corey,

If they are on a 5" bolt circle, measuring from center of one diagonally (skipping one) to the center of the third one, the measurement will be very close to 4 5/8".

They look like T wheels to me. A wheels have a larger hub (about 11" in diameter) and A wheels also have raised areas between the bolt holes.

Good find! T wire wheels are quite pricey since they are rare compared to A wheels.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:53 pm:

Corey,

Nice grab.......

The wife use to roll her eyes too, and then I hit on a compromise that has worked for years and years...

As long as her car always fits into one side of the garage, and she can walk into the house without tripping over stuff...she decided to be pretty 'cool' about it all.

Now the moral to the story? The rafters in the house and the garage are loaded chock full, there is literally a whole T disassembled and hanging on the wall next to her car, there is a corner with a covered rolling chassis that I put a simple wood frame on top of for her to have her own whims at rubbermaid tote storage...

and...

since we started this informal arrangement she never has a comment on anything, whether the piles grow or shrink...what a great balance :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward J. Baudoux on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:53 pm:

Those are A wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:54 pm:

These things have, like true hornbased loudspeakers a low WAF.
Don't know what WAF is?
Wife Acceptance Factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:15 pm:

The hub is 10 5/8 and the bolt pattern is 5 1/8 or 1/4. Probably are A wheels. post /image{post}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

\image(post}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:23 pm:

Most definitely A wheels. Those raised ribs between the bolt holes are not on T wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 07:18 pm:

A wheels, also A hub shown on T rear end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:33 pm:

Please when you pull the wheels off take some photos of how they were mounted front and rear. How well does the rear hub mate up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

I'll take pictures. The hub fits ok but I don't know how you'd get the brakes to work. It got too dark to mess with it anymore today, and cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:09 pm:

Got to luve the rusty stuff. Just a diamond in the rough.
I'm the proud owner of 3 T chassis....In Montana. I'm planning a trip for June so I can see the Montana 500. It'll be running right through my buddy's town. He picked up the parts for me and is storing them till I get up there. I'll try and post a few photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:14 pm:

Should have spelled love right??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:15 pm:

All this and all I really wanted was a chassis with a full running gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:18 pm:

All in all, 3 frames, 10 wheels, 3 rearends, 2 front ends, and some early fenders and running boards on a 26-27 chassis....oh and I forgot to mention, a pinto radiator, at least its ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Peterson on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 09:04 am:

easier to get forgiven than get permission

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration