Timing cover with provision for fan tension spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Timing cover with provision for fan tension spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

Can any out there tell me if the engine timing cover for a 1910 open valve motor (with the tension spring for the fan tension)can be fitted with a distributor off a later model engine. In other words does it have the recess machined into it? I assume so but not 100% sure.

Cheers Alan Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

No, the 09-10 cover is different since the two piece timer is held in place by the cam nut, not by a recess in the cover like the later ones. It would be very difficult to machine a recess in an early cover because you need to get the horizonal distance between the recessed area and the threaded area on the cam right so the distributor (or later style timer) fits as it should.
Better to use a later style timer if you want to mount a distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:17 am:

Thank you for the repsonse Richard, can the cover be removed from the engine without removing the sump? Looks like the camshaft protusion may prevent you from getting it off. I believe that my engine still has the original old style 2 piece crankshaft seal. Cheers. Alan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration