Am I all alone???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Am I all alone???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:38 am:

Any T people near?
I live in Lancaster, SC, 40 miles south of Charlotte, NC.
Im restoring a 16 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:53 am:

You're not all alone. You're as close as your computer. I'm in Valparaiso, Indiana on the tip of Lake Michigan. I have my'14 Touring all apart making major repairs.
garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 09:24 am:

You're not alone, Michael. Welcome to the affliction. I'm in west central Florida and, as Steven said, as close as your computer. My advice is always worth at least as much as I charge for it. Now, advice for Steven. Please, please remove those comcrete blocks from under your jack stands. I won't go into my horror story sbout a comcrete block under a car that suddenly went into "crush mode" at the wrong time. You might replace them with wooden blocks cut from a crosstie, but better would be taller jack stands. Regards, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 09:56 am:

SC has a pretty active T club with quite a few members. I'm sure there are people close by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:39 am:

The block on the right with the holes showing is the block that bothers me because they aint designed to bear weight in that postion.
40 miles from Charlotte? Hum.I would think closer to Monroe by 207 hwy.
I am probably 75 miles from ye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:25 am:

Mack, I know Monroe well, in fact I work at a plant in Matthews NC. Hwy 200 is my usual route to Monroe.

Steven, I lust after your 14 or as I like to put it, "Its done flung a craving on me". 'Better not say that too loud as my 16 may catch on.

This is my first T restoration. In fact, I don't own a running T. I don't even know how to drive one. The guys at work think Im nuts to buy what, to them looks like a basket case and "even if I get it running" (which I will) I dont know how to drive the thing. Crazy huh? We will video and youtube "me" teaching "me" to drive. Y'all know that will be a hoot to watch.

Since I was a little boy (now 48) I've always wanted a T. Not an A or some other old car, it had to be a Lizzy. My church buddys give a blank expression when they first see my 16 (its pretty rough) but to me its the most beautiful car I've ever owned.

Alot of Model A people are around here. They try to "convert" me. I tell them that I like Model As but that an A's tires are just too wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:33 am:

Clubs near me,Charlotte, Columbia or other
When and where is your next meeting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:51 am:

Michael, I always tell my Model A friends that their cars are okay, if you like modern... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:56 am:

Here are listings of locals for both national clubs. Maybe somebody here will be close.

http://mtfca.com/MTclubs.htm

http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5:contact-you r-local-chapter&catid=2:contact-us&Itemid=15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Steven - You've gotten excellent advice from Robert & Mack. Robert chose not to tell you his "horror story", and I won't tell you mine either, except to say that it has to do with a friend of mine in Montana who was killed by being crushed to death by laying under a vehicle that came down on him when a concrete block crumbled. Cinder blocks should NEVER be used in place of jack stands, and there is no safe way to position them to support concentrated weight. There is no SAFE substitute for well designed jack stands!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

Here in Milwaukee, todays ad for Menards, High Lift 3 ton Jack stands for only $19.99/pair. Up to 21 inches. Cheaper than a doctor bill or repairing whatever breaks when she drops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

Thanks Dave, I'm heading over to Menards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 03:49 pm:

Michael, type www.scmodeltford.org into your browser. They're affiliated with both the international and American T clubs. They are active, have a good membership base and have monthly meetings. We had belonged while we had our 3 T's. We dropped membership when times got tough and sold out T's. Eventually we'll get back into the game.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:17 pm:

Mike,

Your closest Model T Club would be Charlotte:

Carolina T's (I)
c/o Edward Kendall
4829 Currituck Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28210

Ed’s phone number is posted the 5th line down at: http://autopedia.com/html/AutomotiveClubs/NC.html -- but when I just called that number it said it had been temporarily disconnected. From memory (that is dangerous with me) I think someone shared that Ed had passed away? You might be ahead to contact the MTFCI – go to: http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_chronocontact&Itemid=31 and ask them if Ed Kendall is still the point of contact for the Carolina T’s in Charlotte, NC. Or perhaps someone will know who is a good point of contact for that club – if it is still Ed or if it is someone else. Note there are two national clubs – don’t let that confuse you. They both provide great encouragement to folks who have or want to have a Model T. And in the case of many local clubs, the club is a member of both MTFCA & MTFCI.

Your next closest Model T club would be the South Carolina Model T Ford Club which is one of those local clubs that is a member of both national clubs. Their next meeting is Sat Jan 9, 2010. They meet the second Saturday of every other month – so Jan, Mar, May, etc. See the web site at: http://scmodeltford.org/ Go to the club information page at: http://scmodeltford.org/ClubInfo.htm and send an e-mail to the newsletter editor requesting a copy of the latest newsletter and where the Jan 9,2010 meeting will be held. They rotate the meeting location which works great. Sometimes it is a little further than you would want to drive your T, but it usually will come back closer on the next meeting or two. You can also volunteer to host the meeting and then it will be really close to you. Great folks and lots of activity.

I’m located in Sumter SC about 2 hrs from you – but I’ll gladly try to help with questions etc. Smith & Jones Antique Car parts is located in Columbia SC. All the old car vendors area great, but I recommend folks use the one that is closest to them. It is really nice to be able to visit the store every now and then and know what the folks look like. Terry Smith one of their founders is very active in the local club and often provides technical advice/seminars that are very helpful.

When you have a chance please post some photos of your project. We have had some folks look at tackling a really difficult case for their first T. Usually it is better to start with something relatively easy – it is a lot more encouraging. And yes anything can be fixed – but most folks would enjoy driving them more than fixing them. Some pictures should help us see what level of effort will be required. Good news – you can always take the parts and build a speedster, pickup truck, etc. and work on the body later if it is a real challenge. Then when the body is finished, you can swap it with the speedster body. It is relatively easy to swap the bodies compared to a modern car.

And of course – body numbers – if you have a chance please look at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html and let me know if you find a body number or a body manufacture letter.

Welcome aboard.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

Dick and Michael,
I'll see your Model T sentiments and raise you one. I say to my Model A fiends, "If you're gonna drive modern, you might as well drive a Chevy. You have to realize that Ford quit building decent cars in May of '27."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:38 pm:

You can check with Tarheel T's as well if you are in search of a support group.Based in Greensboro though and that means a steady 2 hour drive if you are lucky to go to the meetings.
.A good group of people though.We eat and work on Model T's.
I have heard there was a Charlotte group but I have never encountered a member from there nor seen any info unitl I read what was posted above.Must not be very active.
If you travel in Union county you pass by my work that I did for over 12 years.Allmost all the road signs along your route will have MJC Sign 1057 on the back of them.Used to eat dinner alot at Rough Edge at the store there.Up till 4 years ago anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:16 pm:

Mike,

Recommend you also e-mail or contact Michael Brawley – click on:
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=michael_b-users
and it takes you to his profile. You can then click on “send private message” at the bottom and send him a note. He has a 1924 Tudor and lives in Charlotte, NC. He was asking the same question a few months back.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

Here in Shelby, NC. Help you any way I can.

Mike Royster 1918 Runabout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:19 pm:

I live in Shelby, NC and will help you any way I can.

Mike Royster 1916 Runabout
mr@carolina.rr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Shedrow on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:59 pm:

Steven-I use to be in the model A club in highland,not far from you-also use to go to fetlas to look at the guns they had,wonder are they still in busness?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 07:40 am:

Hi Dennis, Fetlas is gone. I'm in the Winamac Old Auto Car, I write the newsletter. Your more than welcome to pay us a visit.
http://www.lakenetnwi.net/member/winamacoldautoclub/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 07:17 pm:

Steven,

Any chance the Winamac Old Car Club will ever come back to Winamac? I know of lots of old cars around here but we don't see much of the club in Winamac and Star City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 07:25 pm:

Bob,why not start one? All you need are five willing souls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

I couldn't help but notice the nice license plate collection on the wall. Very cool! Are they all from NC?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration