Radiator Mounting Pads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Radiator Mounting Pads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:11 am:

I found something interesting this morning "leather radiator mounting pads". I must have missed this in all the parts mags I have, but is this correct for a 1918 Model Touring.

Thanks Timmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:23 am:

Timmy,

According to the Lang's catalog, the leather pads are used only on the brass cars (1909-1916). Snyder's catalog says otherwise (thru 1918) but I believe is incorrect.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:29 am:

That is the problem I sit down to Langs, Mac's and I would buy parts for the 18. I stop doing that becuase I would wind up with a bunch of parts that were not correct. This morning I hit a link that showed the pads were used on 1918. Thanks for the info. Timmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:39 am:

Interesting that. Then the Lang's catalog is incorrect. Good thing there's the forum, huh? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:53 am:

yes...I started this project about two years ago, and after conitnually shortfalls with car enthusiast, well I have discovered that my local mechanics cost me more than helped. Everyone claimed they were T and fell far from the truth. During this period I read alot books on the T. With todays technology, I hope the original authors will go back and use "colored" photos. The colored photos are so much easier on the eyes. During this time I have harvested part after part (not money cost) but I need that and that. Some of it I used and some of it I returned.

I guess being a novice and not knowing about the Forum, I spent a lot of unnecessary money at first.

Thank goodness for the Forum!!!

Timmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:29 pm:

With some parts it is difficult to determine just what is original or not. There were transition periods where some cars went to the newer parts before others of the same year and some never changed such as the fordor sedan of 1926-1927 used the old location of the gas tank while the other models those years installed the tank under the cowl. Sometimes even the location of the assembly plant would make a difference. We find that between American and Canadian cars or Austrailian and European cars etc.

Another problem is that when the cars have been restored, sometimes the wrong parts were used unawares. If you can possibly find a car that is original unrestored, maybe you can determine what was correct for your car, otherwise, go by the majority of sources. If it fits, don't worry about it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

The best leather pads are made by John Regan at Fun Projects. They are thick just like original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:01 pm:

Dear Timmy:

I have a 19 or 20 Touring that came with neoprene pads. I am not trying for a prize, so I do not need leather. There is not much difference between an 18 and a 20.

I was able to mount the radiator with the pads and the correct mounting bolts. The support rod fits, the hood fits, and the hoses fit just fine. If the pads are not there, the radiator rubs against the frame, metal to metal. The pad also allows the radiator to flex a little bit when you hit one of those nasty bumps. Gets rid of some of the rigidity of the entire car.

I am not an expert, but I would recommend it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:15 pm:

The leather pads were used on brass radiators, but also on about 1916-1918 low style radiators that have 3/8" mounting holes. If your radiator and shroud have 1" mounting holes, then you use the "regular" kit with the thimbles, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

There is an excellent picture on page 227 of the Encyclopedia showing the difference between the use of the leather pad and the kit with the thimbles. It states that the change was made in 1919, so the leather would be appropriate for 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:01 pm:

The change of mounting happened on 4/12/19 design wise. It probably didn't actually change on cars for at least a month or 2 after that so many of the 1919 cars still used the leather pads. The main issue for the pads is that they be THICK enough to prevent the rivet heads on the top surface of the frame from dimpling the underside of the radiator apron. This is what happens when the pad is too thin AND when it is not made to cover the entire end top surface of the frame. If the pad you are using can simply be flipped over and it fits the same then it is not made correctly since the hole pattern is NOT in the center of the pad and is only covering then part of the top frame surface. Check the underside of the radiator apron on your car and if you see shiny spots where the rivet heads are - you will soon start to see the dents in the radiator apron. Check it out before your radiator apron gets messed up like mine was before I found the Ford drawings for this part and saw why it was happening.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration