ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/06/09 ADJUSTABLE MAIN BEARING CAP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/06/09 ADJUSTABLE MAIN BEARING CAP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:40 am:

Here's a usefull accessory that will help you adjust out crankshaft endplay and get your magneto gap up to spec.
cabearing cabearing1
cabearing2 cabearing3
cabearing4 cabearing5
cabearing6 cabearing7
cabearing8 caadjustablecap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:14 am:

I've got that one too. Great to see the actual box and instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:30 am:

I have always felt that this sort of device and its clones were really a valid belts AND suspenders approach to keeping the magneto gap in a good solid place! I've looked over many from the eccentric locating stud shown here, to those with wedges...but never went and tried one.

Curious Jay...perhaps you can elaborate...in the upper left hand picture, the babbit sure appears to be wallowed out at an angle! Would be curious as to why. Perhaps an eccentric pin does OK front to back, but leaves side to side a little too free?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:38 am:

George, the unit is NOS never used. The long edges of the babbit are chamfered at an angle. I would say it's to let oil in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

aha....oil groove makes sense :-)

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

Hi All

There were two versions of this accessory,
as shown and described in the following patents

Original Design
Patent number: 1421518
Filing date: Jan 7, 1921
Issue date: Jul 1922
http://tinyurl.com/yeke6hq

Improved design
Patent number: 1761139
Filing date: Nov 19, 1927
Issue date: Jun 3, 1930
http://tinyurl.com/ygy45kj

Regards
Art

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration