Steering bracket differences

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Steering bracket differences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:41 am:

From time to time I see steering brackets on ebay with a raised part # that are said to be 1914. I've got a column that I think is a 1915 or 16. The quadrant is steel but the rivets holding it on are brass. There are 2 holes on top for the horn button. The lower brachet doesn't have the raised #'s. It does have a W in a circle, same as the hub on a brass hub fan that I have. What years used the raised part # brackets? Maybe the W bracket came from a later car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 07:29 am:

Corey, I'm certainly no expert but had occasion to research this same part about 2 years ago when building my '14 runabout. From your steering column description I'd confirm your '15 or '16 suspicion. Now, Gail Rodda is a Model T parts ID expert and I'm looking on page 29 of Volume 1 of his world famous Parts Identification Guide and he shows a picture of the steering post bracket with the raised part number (T932) and states: "This bracket was used 1913 to 1915. The number is in raised letters on the bottom. This is the last bracket with raised letters." Ford must've made upwards of a dozen changes to that bracket during the production run of the Model T. The 'W' you found on yours is evidently a manufacturer's mark. I don't remember the mark on my raised letter bracket that I used on my '14.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration