Alex Alongi News

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Alex Alongi News
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 04:39 pm:

I was finally able to get ahold of him this afternoon. Apparently he's been down in bed with an equilibrium and dizziness problem which has kept him from work and from driving. About the same time his computer crashed, so apparently all the e-mails sent to him are bouncing back (at least the ones I sent are). He said to tell everyone he's fine, and thanks for thinking of him. He'll be back to posting as soon as his doctors figure out what's going on, and he gets his computer fixed. Thanks for your concern. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks Bob. Hope he gets better soon. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:03 pm:

Happened to me once, and it can be more debilitating than you might think. Turned out to be an inner ear infection, and it took quite some time to fully clear up. There may be other causes, but mine was ear related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

Thanks Bob for that news. I wish for Alex a speedy recovery so that he can at the very least, take his two grandsons to get Italian ice cream and drive either of his Ts. I'm sure he misses that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Bob -- thanks for checking on him and letting us know. If you see him, please let him know he is in our thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

Hi Hap,
Already did when I talked to him earlier, and he appreciates that. Thank you. As I mentioned to Seth earlier, everyone's concern for Alex is another one of the nice things I've learned about Model T people. Thank you all. Have a happy and safe holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 07:02 pm:

Alex, Meclezine(antivert) helps some. I often add small doses of Valium, 2 mg three times a day. the combination seems to stabilize the nerves that are firing and causing the problem. I've had 2 patients this week with this. that small of a dose of valium doesn't seem to affect mood or sedate too much. Talk to your doctor. I got this trick from an old ENT. It can be very debilitating. I had it once packed in 10 miles into the Scapegoat wilderness elk hunting. It wasn't a fun trip back out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:06 pm:

Glad to hear he's still with us and hope he recovers rapidly. I have a bit of balance problem too. The time I notice it most is after I lay under the car, and then get up. Or when I get out of bed. I need to sit up first until my head stops spinning, and then I am fine, so I can symphathize with Alex. If it didn't stop spinning, that would be awful.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:24 pm:

I had a inner ear problem this fall that the doctor said was probably caused by a virus. I was having dizziness issues, felt really weird. The doctor prescribed something called Meclizine that helped immediately. Thank goodness it cleared up after a few weeks.

Tell Alex we hope he is back around soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 08:28 pm:

Bob:

Thanks for the Alex update. Chicken Soup! Yes, I hope that's all he needs and maybe what Noel said. Again, thanks Bob.
Harvey ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:03 pm:

Thanks for the info, Bob.

I had what was apparently BPPV several years ago. If I opened my eyes, I would vomit. The cure was to sit on the edge of the bed and fall back.

See if you can get this info to him:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

In Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) dizziness is generally thought to be due to debris which has collected within a part of the inner ear. This debris can be thought of as "ear rocks", although the formal name is "otoconia". Ear rocks are small crystals of calcium carbonate derived from a structure in the ear called the "utricle" (figure1 ). While the saccule also contains otoconia, they are not able to migrate into the canal system. The utricle may have been damaged by head injury, infection, or other disorder of the inner ear, or may have degenerated because of advanced age. Normally otoconia appear to have a slow turnover. They are probably dissolved naturally as well as actively reabsorbed by the "dark cells" of the labyrinth (Lim, 1973, 1984), which are found adjacent to the utricle and the crista, although this idea is not accepted by all (see Zucca, 1998, and Buckingham, 1999).

BPPV is a common cause of dizziness. About 20% of all dizziness is due to BPPV. While BPPV can occur in children (Uneri and Turkdogan, 2003), the older you are, the more likely it is that your dizziness is due to BPPV. About 50% of all dizziness in older people is due to BPPV. In a recent study, 9% of a group of urban dwelling elders were found to have undiagnosed BPPV (Oghalai et al., 2000).

The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common "problem" motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called "top shelf vertigo." Women with BPPV may find that the use of shampoo bowls in beauty parlors brings on symptoms. A Yoga posture called the "down dog", or Pilates are sometimes the trigger. An intermittent pattern is common. BPPV may be present for a few weeks, then stop, then come back again.
------
rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

WOW....you guys are scarrin' me.....In the last two weeks Itoo have had a small sensation like that when I roll over in bed, or get up too fast.....and like you said rdr it seemed to go away about 4 mo. ago and now its back......Not only do we have "Ts" in common,,,,,but "LIFE" too....thanks for takin' the time to post that site..........Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmy Pittman on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

My mother had the same problem with the same symptoms. "Vertigo" however, the valium to stop the firing problem of the Model T. I will have to try that when I get my motor back in. If that all it takes is valium so you don't notice the misfirng...boy that would have save me about 4500.00 rebuilding my motor.

Take care of himself! Watch ALfred Hitchcock and call the doctor.

Thanks Timmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:30 pm:

Alex,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Denny

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration