26 WHEELS RIMS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 26 WHEELS RIMS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:01 pm:

Two of my 26 roadster wheels have an extra valve stem hole. Why?

fellow

I have split rims configured as shown. What sort of latch mechanism is required? The 5/16 hole is not threaded and shows no sign of having a threaded devise attached.

rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:23 pm:

The extra hole allows the use of Chevrolet rims

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

Thanks John. Any idea about the rim latch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:48 pm:

With regard to the latch....been a long time but. In the side with the two slots a strap had two corresponding protrusions which fit through the slots and were swaged. The strap extended to the other side with a protrusion which fit into the slot. The hole contained a rivet that secured a rotatable tab that secured the protrusion into the slot. The protrusion was partially recessed thich allowed the tab to slide over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 02:56 pm:

The rim is either Kelsey or Firestone. There used to be a rivet with a swivel where the hole closest to center is now, A strap like latch was forged into the two holes on the left and dropped into the hole on the right and was held in place by that swivel, which if it was there would tell for sure who made the rim. The one with an arrowhead shaped end is Firstone. The one that just has the rivet off center is Kelsey.

That style rim is dangerous to inflate when it is not bolted to a wheel, as the latch does not adequately hold it together, especially with excessive pressure.

If the rim is sandblasted on the inside, it will show the Firestone name stamped in it and the size will also be stamped in it, both in large letters and numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

Since the latch is gone, I think I will come up with a more positive/safe latching device. Thanks to all. I have seen photos of the rotating tab latch but did not know how it was attached to the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:12 pm:

Jim, if you keep your eyes open, you might be able to come up with a rusty and otherwise unusable rim that you could take the latch assembly off of. Just a thought. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Dave-thanks for the input. However, if it is not a safe mechanism then I might come up with some other latch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

Just as another input/opinion....I have had no problem with that type of latching mechanism. I can't imagine that there can be that kind of serious danger. That's a good idea to find a junk rim and take the parts off...rather easy. And you will have extra lugs too. I have done that and installing the strap can be done easily with braze or weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:32 pm:

I have some used 21 in w/ the swing around lock, and some with the bolt style latch 125.00 ea plus UPS danuser88@socket.net

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration