Alternative kerosene and carbide lamp illumination

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Alternative kerosene and carbide lamp illumination
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:31 pm:

Howdy guys,
I'm considering something on the LED type to use on the 3 kerosene and 2 carbide style lamps on my '14. Most of what I've researched will be too obvious and unsightly with the telltale visible wiring or 9V batteries. Of course, I don't intend to drive at night too much - just the occasional small town night parades. What have others found to meet this need? Thank you in advance. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 05:27 pm:

I can't speak for carbide, but for the oil lamps, I use Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil. Smells just like a candle burning. Doesn't soot up or smoke if adjusted correctly. The only downside is that it can freeze. It doesn't hurt it when it does. It will thaw and be just like new. If you keep your car in a heated garage or don't live in a cold climate, it's no big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 05:55 pm:

With just a little maintance before and after there should be no trouble using the headlamps,espc one or two times a year! About the only problem with the oil lamps is do not fill them too full! Oil/lamp fluid will slosh out and make a mess! With just a little work the orgional lighting will work and there aint nothing like the real thing! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:20 pm:

George,

The gas lamps can be fed by compressed gas. That ws done in the day and avoids the mess of water and calcium carbide. I believe the tanks were Presto-Lite and you just fill it with acetylene from our friendly welding supply.

I use the ultra-pure lamp oil, too in my 1916 and it does not smoke and soot like straight kerosene.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

Either I'm not reading what I think you said or I think what you're saying was not what I read. I could be all wrong but I think George is talking about electrifying the lamps. Or at least adding LED lights.

My question is whether you want both options George or a straight conversion? The heat generated inside the lamps would sure do a number on LEDs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 08:24 pm:

Yeh, flickering LEDs. Maybe the pure white ones would be a good subsitute for headlamps, but you need yellow for sidelamps. I found these soft white ones for the new kitchen cabinet I just finished. I'm running them at 3/4 voltage.

w1

w2

w3

See, I'm practicing for building a T body.

rdr
Arlington VA, visiting my taxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:47 am:

Like Kenneth says - nothing like the real thing. At the party at the danish centenial rally we sat outdoors at the lights of a 191x Model T:
Ford
However - I am considering building in some "Reverse lamps" I found, into my sidelamps. They works from 9 - 30V - just perfect for being supplied from the magneto and my Model T have lights on all the time (as is required for modern vehicles today in Denmark).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:24 pm:

Thanks for the replies guys. Ken read it right although I greatly appreciate the extraordinary picture Michael sent. I was wanting to covertly electrify all 5 lamps however Tom Mullin gave me a good idea - just secret a small acetylene tank in the turtledeck and pipe it to the headlamps. I've used kerosene in kerosene lamps for quite a while now but they've never proved dependable. A few years ago at our town's Charles Dickens night parade, a cowl lamp and the taillamp went out unbeknownst to me. Any good LED fixes out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:12 pm:

For the cowl lamps and the tail light you can use the LED light fixture you find in the catalogs. It has 5 white LED lights and built in on/off switch. It appears to fit inside the lamp without any alteration to the lamp. Bit pricy though at $45 a shot. Langs has it on page 108, but I think Snyders has it too.

You might be able to modify some of those short stumpy LED flashlights you can find at all the big boxes like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I think they are short enough to fit inside the lamp. You will just have to make some kind of bracket.

The headlights might be more of a problem. I know they make LED flashlights with 12 or more LED's , but I don't see them too often, and don't know if there are any stumpy ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration