Threaded hole in intake manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Threaded hole in intake manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

I've seen in several intake manifolds a threaded hole in the middle where it forms a T. Sometimes there is a slotted plug there. Were some manifolds from the factory like that and others not, because of different suppliers? I suppose this was for a priming cup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

Could be for vacuum acsessories, trico wiper, or fan. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:13 pm:

In any case those are holes drilled for accessories. Ford did not drill manifolds for anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gaylen Gammons on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

I have seen spirit cups mounted there on some, for easier starting in cold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:06 am:

I have also seen valves that permit extra air into the manifold. My 10 had a priming cup with a hole drilled through the handle for a rod that passed thru the firewall. The driver could adjust the air intake by turning the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:22 am:

I could be, and usually am wrong, but I thought that Ford supplied cars with vacuum wipers in 26 and 27. If so they would have to had supplied intakes with some type of hole in the intake manifold. On page 233 in "From Here to Obscurity" Bruce mentions that the late cars were supplied with optional "Automatic Windshield Wipers". I doubt that they were electric.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:48 am:

Optional automatic windshield wipers. Optional.
Some '27 Fords did have vaccum wipers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:57 am:

Does any one out ther have an original car with "Automatic Wipers"? I would like to see how they were plumbed. I would also like to see some detail of the wiper units. Who supplied them to Ford?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:14 am:

Paul,
I have the Ford drawing for the 1926-27 accessory windshield wiper from the Benson Ford Research Center. The drawing identifies the manufacturer as Trico. There were 2 different models, one for open cars and one for closed cars, both are vacuum operated. Main difference is the mounting and length of shaft to go through the windshiled frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:43 pm:

There were some good pictures in the Times a few years ago of the 15,000,000 Model T in the Henry Ford Museum. It had several shots of the wipers and plumbing as I recall. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:43 pm:

That hole could have been drilled and tapped with an 8th pipe tap for a wolf whistle. Other than that it was for a priming cap because of the side draft carburetor being so had to squirt gas into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas J. Miller on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

Jeff Humble,
I have an open 26 and an accessory wiper and would be interested in any drawings that show this accessory or routing of the lines. Could you post them or e-mail anything to me. Thanks in advance.
Davie Stroud,
Do you know any way to locate the issue of the Times that woul have the wiper or plumbing. Really want to install this right. Thanks for any help.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 05:04 pm:

Nick,
Sorry, The drawing only shows the wiper motor, no mounting or anything else, and it is for the closed car wiper motor. I too would be interested in the 15M model T article.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:14 pm:

Nicholas, I'm sure it would be listed in the yearly index. Right now my magazine collection is in kind of a mess, but if you can't find it, let me know and I'll give it a shot. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration