Non Ford Car -What is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Non Ford Car -What is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:19 pm:

This a RPPC from my collection of a round hooded touring car
TOURINGCAR
What kind of car is this?
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:23 pm:

looks huge!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

Full elliptic springs and barrel hood suggest a 6 cyl Franklin.

rdr
Arlington VA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Or, it could be a National?

nat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:55 pm:

I have no idea what it is but it sure is missing a large chunk of rubber on the right front wheel.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:26 am:

It is hard to tell if the bottom of the radiator is round or straight, but it looks like a 1906-7 Royal Tourist, built in Cleveland to me. It looks like a Pennsylvania plate on the front also. I don't have any of my books or photos in front of me, so I am sure others will chime in as well. Great photo!
Chris Paulsen
McPherson, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:37 am:

I believe that Chris is on to the identity. If you look at the Royal Tourist entry in the Standard Catalog of American Cars it points out the radiator shape, the roundness of the hood and the shape of the cowl as being distinct features of the marque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:49 am:

Further research found this picture at this link
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Tourist.jpg
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Protexter on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 10:52 am:

It's not a Franklin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:03 am:

I am often amazed at the amount of general knowledge about damn near everything that is available on this forum - in addition to the T knowledge, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

Dick - I agree with you, however, there IS a commonly used phrase that accounts for some of what you say:

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull____!

H,ha,......just kidding; well, sorta',........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:16 pm:

Well, Harold, there is that.... :-)

I was thinking more of the fact that the picture was posted and someone opined, "...it looks like a 1906-7 Royal Tourist, built in Cleveland to me," and that turned out to be what it was. Heck, I wouldn't know a 1906-7 Royal Tourist if it bit me on the ankle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:42 pm:

Me either Paul; I'd have thought it was the Queen of England, visiting the North American Continent in the early 1900's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

They both have a round tube front axle with the shaft in front.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:30 pm:

Interesting that the picture shows General Funston. He was the commander at Fort Mason in San Francisco in 1906 and was the person who ordered the dynamiting of buildings to stop the fires. I spent a summer at Camp Funston (Fort Riley, kansas) in 1966.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 02:05 pm:

That radiator was only made by National between 1906 and 1908. National made electric cars through 1905 and switched to gasoline in 1906. In 1909 they went to a conventionally shaped radiator which was less costly to build. The car also looks like a big Spyker but the side lamps appear to be American so I vote 1906 through 1908 National

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

Delaunay-Bellevilles also had round radiators and similar front axles.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 04:36 pm:

Thanks all for helping me ID the Royal Tourist car in my postcard.
Howard

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration