ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/08/09 BULLER COUPLER TRALER HITCH

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/08/09 BULLER COUPLER TRALER HITCH
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:14 pm:

Here's a neat accessory trailer hitch made especially for the FORD. It measures 15 inches front to back. Anyone using one of these to pull a trailer??
bullerhitch
bullerhitch1
bullerhitch2
bullerhitch3
bullercoupler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:12 pm:

Only $4.50? Can I buy it?

M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:57 pm:

I particularly like that it is "Staunchly" made. How long since you've heard that word used??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:21 pm:

Jay,
Does "Accessory Of The Day 12/08/09 Buller Coupler Trailer Hitch" mean 1909 or 2009?

Yuk....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:04 pm:

I may very well be wrong but to me instead of what we normally think a trailer hitch was built to use the Ford as a Shop Mule?? I have seen that type in use and i think if you back into your hitch/tounge it will snap open then snapp shut? I also think there is/was a tripp rope for un hooking from your seat?? Later Shop Mules seemed to now favor a spring loaded pintle verticle reciver with semi floating rings on trailers?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

Looks like it even has provisions for safety chains?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

Bud, This coupler needs to be manually opened with the hand lever on top,once done you can back into it and it snap locks closed. You could rig a trip rope by drilling an eyelet on the hand lever and adding a trip pull rope.

Les. Yes it has two safety chain eyelets.

Here's a close up of the unit opened showing the trigger fingers which snap the unit closed when the trailer ring hits home.
open

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

Bud,

You never cease to amaze me in your knowledge of so many things!

Google patents search and the dates on the tongue show that it was originially purposed for 'tug' service and self hitching!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

George, If this coupler I have is closed you can't bump into it and have it open and then lock closed. It has to be manually opened to link and lock, I just went out and tried it. The one I have does not have the eyelet as shown in the patent drawing for the actuation lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:19 pm:

This type of hitch was very common years ago when we used to pick corn with mounted pickers. It was spring loaded to open and could be released with a pull rope. This allowed the picker driver to hook to an empty wagon, fill it and drop it without ever leaving the tractor. They worked great - in the field. I'd hate to pull something down the road with them.

I'll bet Bud know this too.

Hey Stan........ya keepin' warm out there? I see Helena was supposed to break a record last night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:22 pm:

Buller had a few patents for hitches, but the dates
cast into the hitch match the following patent dates.

This one issued on Nov 29 1904
Patent number: 776292
Filing date: Aug 3, 1904
Issue date: Nov 29 1904
http://tinyurl.com/ydm2b4d

And this one issued Sept 25 1917 (as posted earlier by George)
Patent number: 1240818
Filing date: Feb 3, 1917
Issue date: Sep 25 1917
http://tinyurl.com/yb98rfr

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:32 pm:

Jay and all,One thing shure it was well made and how often do we see industries started in the Model T's day and continue to other products! Thanks Jay,and please keep on showing us!!!! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration