Need Help Identifying and Locating Items For Museum Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Need Help Identifying and Locating Items For Museum Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:27 pm:

I'm helping the Indiana Historical Society with a project that will be on display in Indianapolis for 2010. We've got the cars, tractor and quite a few of the parts and tools. We need help with identifying some of the items hanging on the walls and locating those and some of the other items circled in the picture below. To start with see if you can identify some of the stuff hanging on the walls. Send me an Email through my profile if you have any of the items that we can buy, borrow or rent.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:34 pm:

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 12:55 pm:

Kenny:

1. The two items at the bottom, one with a handle sticking out are three wheel jacks. These are very handy because you can turn a car in a 360 degree circle. Most of them were manufactured by the Weaver Co.

2. The item under the front window bottom I believe is a KRW rear end stand.

3. The item in the circle in the upper right hand of the picture is a radiator shell.

4. The item with the chain in the top center of the picture is a chain host.

5. The item to the right of the three wheel jack I believe may be KRW engine stand.

I am afraid I can not see any more of the items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

In the foreground on the wall, that looks to be a wooden top framing piece or pattern for a framing piece for a closed car. Next to it on the wall, it looks like a radiator shell but I see a cross piece at the bottom of it and a radiator neck (which shelss do not have), which leads me to think it might be a radiator shell form used to straighten bent and dented radiator shells. I see a steering wheel and spider on the wall above the cabinet. Other than the obvious floor jacks, ceiling chain hoist and Kerosene can on the floor in the foreground, due to picture quality, I am unable to identify much else. Are there any photos from another angle? Perhaps you can improve the quality of the picture on your computer through resolution modification. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Stinson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:01 pm:

The second one in in the middle-right of the picture looks like a radiator cover/shroud ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

How could you guys overlook the whiskey barrel in the right foreground? It's probably the most important item in the shop.

Seriously, I wonder what it was used for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

The tall item in front of the radiator shroud looks like an axle. If you used an axle for your display, 99% of the people looking would never know the difference, in case I am wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

The barrel is probably for drain oil. Just a guess although a whiskey barrel that size might encourage customer loyalty. ("Hmm... my calendar shows me that it's time to take the car to the garage and get lubricated").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

I guess I was looking for more than the obvious and should have been a little more clear on what I was looking for.

1.I didn't recognize the rounded radiator shroud on the wall. I supplied one of the T shrouds still need one of those and what ever the rounded one is.

2. The rectangular can in front of the whiskey barrel. Need one of those.

3. Need one more of the axle jacks.

4. Need a pipe vise and stand like in the picture.

5. We have the whiskey barrel.

6. Need the chain hoist similar to the one hanging from the ceiling.

Some of the smaller stuff hanging on the wall towards the back will require a higher resolution picture than what I can post. Is the someone that I can send the picture to that can post it as a link somewhere? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

The square can next to the wood barrel looks like a 4 of 5 gal oil can.

The other items are too hard to see, that being said, I am pretty sure one of the items on the workbench is a deck of cards, the jack of dimonds appears to be missing, a box of 1000 toothpicks with 3 toothpicks missing, and a fountian pen that is out of ink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:00 pm:

I'd love that Fordson tractor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:20 pm:

Sorry, should have typed 4 or 5 gal oil can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

I think the long item next to the radiator shell is a top bow off an open car. The ends are curved, then taper almost to a point.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:18 pm:

I have an old wooden creeper like that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:26 pm:

I have a chain hoist if you are interested. I am in Detroit and its too heavy to ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

Does the circled piece laying on the work bench look like a rear end that is getting ready to be worked on? I swear that is a pumpkin with shaft housings on each side. How about the machine just this side of the plate glass window. Looks like a lathe or pipe threader.

Is that shiney piece hanging on the wall just to the left of the work bench another radiator shell (nickel plated)?

David, I was going to say that piece on the wall closest to the camera was a wooden top bow cross piece until I compared it with the width of the radiator shell. and determined that it is too long to be a cross piece. That is why I figured it must be a side piece for the top frame of a closed car. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

Kenny,

For the rectangular can you may be able to use a commercial food service olive oil can. They are very large and square like that. Just dirty it up with oil or spray paint. I will check the shop tomorrow I think I have a chain hoist you can borrow and I will check the fuel shed for a square can. I think the radiator shell on the wall is a drain pan with a spout on it. The calendar on the wall needs flipped to the month of Dec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:30 pm:

Kenny I have a weaver three wheel jack you are wecome to borrow for your project. bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

Boy, you're getting pretty close to home for me.

This picture is of the Greenlee Garage in Hartford City, IN. They were working on this project locally before it went statewide - I think. I've been asked about it, but.............

Anyway, I certainly didn't know Mr. (John?) Greenlee, but knew his daughter Opal. She was a twin and was born in June 26, 1900. She gave my daughter piano lessons in her early years. She was an old maid and lived in the family house just south of downtown. She live to be almost 100, but her twin died years before. I'm pretty sure the building where the garage was is long gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:30 pm:

Thanks for the help. I'll be contacting you guys.

Fred, I was told the building was in Indiana but wasn't sure where. The plate glass window say's "Liniger Bros. Tinning Plumbing" I was wondering if the building was still standing.

Someone commented on the T radiator shell. It's a low radiator but in the picture it does appear to be chrome but I assumed it was shiney black and the sun was reflecting off of it. The rounded shell is a radiator shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

I just asked my wife as she was the one that had been contacted about this project and she says the building was the one just west across the street from the post office. It's been torn down within the last few years. I can't tell you about the name on the window nor can I really guarantee you that it was the Greenlee garage. That's just what has been said by the local historians. I'm guessing they know what they're talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:38 pm:

What year is the Fordson? Although the first Fordsons were made in 1917, apparently all went to England, Canada and Australia. The name Fordson was not used until about April 1918 and the first Fordsons were sold in the US about the same time. I have a 1918 and will try to determine the year. If you will send me a full resolution copy of the photo, perhaps that would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

That building was probably built before indoor lighting was commonplace. Interesting how the light from the skylight shines directly onto the work bench and the wall behind it. Now that's planning for you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

I suppose I could send this to Kenny, but thought others might be interested.
I just talked to the fellow that owns the building next door.
He said that John Greenlee had the early Ford dealership, but it was diagonally across the corner from this building. He supposed that this might have just been something extra. It housed Cale's Poultry until it closed several years back. The other building is still standing, but is empty now. FWIW, it's on the southeast corner of Water & High Street. He said when this building was torn down a few years back, the ramp that the cars used to get up into the building was still there. It went across the sidewalk.
There are several of these buildings that were built in this half block that used the surplus supplies from the main buildings around the square. All of them had the skylights. What interests me about this one is that the sun would have to be in the north sky to shine on the workbench like it is in the picture. That, or the picture is taken from the front of the building looking rearward. It seems odd that there would be a building "front" opening on the alley. As far as the "Liniger" name, he was familiar with it, but said that no one by that name was left anymore and had no idea any of them were businessmen. This fellow is in his '70's and his father (born 1898) was a fishing buddy with John Greenlee, so he's fairly familiar with this whole situation.
The next time I'm in town, I'll have to look and see what I've been missing for the last 39 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:30 am:

Just an update. I've located the chain hoist locally and I need to contact Bud about the axle jack since he is the closest so far. Thanks to all for the email responses. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration