Strange Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Strange Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Olivier CHABANNE on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:50 pm:

Hello,

I just found this photo in a French magazine.
This Ford Model T of 1926, underwent a transformation giving 4 rotating wheels and 4 wheel drive probably.
Note the steering wheel placed vertically and double frame connecting the front axle and rear axle.
The transformation date is 1932 and the work of Erik Kjerp (Michigan).

photo1

Olivier

http://www.ford-t.fr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Looks like it would be great for parallel parking!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 03:46 pm:

Did the front fenders get wrinkled before or after the conversion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

What I find most interesting is probable design of the steering "knuckles". Given as how the axles are so low it would be likely that they are using a short vertical shaft at each wheel. My farm tractor uses a similar method on the front wheels. It allows the wheels to be turned really sharply with no U joints to bind up.
Now the way it is set up you can not actually turn a corner, well at least not change the direction the car is pointed. As Norm says it would be great for parallel parking. To actually drive you would want to lock the rear wheels straight ahead or have them turn in the opposite direction. Then you could turn incredibly sharp corners. I don't guess the idea was destined for success at the time. Still it seems to be a marvel of engineering and ingenuity. I admire Erik's talent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:42 pm:

According to Google, Erik Kjerp was an inventor. In 1931, he was awarded a patent (1802562) for a front-wheel drive.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=TFNhAAAAEBAJ&dq=1802562

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:49 pm:

Erik, I think the fenders were done in on the first trip out of the garage:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

It's called Crab Steer and some of the early/modern 4 wd tractors had it and many moble cranes have it. As a matter of fact many moble cranes have two wheel steer,4 wheel steer,and also crab steer! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:52 pm:

When I was in the Marine Corps about a hundred years ago, we had a small vehicle with a flat deck called a "mechanical mule" that had a very similar system. As Les said, by pulling one pin and moving the rear axle drag link and replacing the drag link and pin to a fixed point, you could lock the rear steering. The other interesting thing about these mechanical mules was that you could couple a number of them together and operate them as a "train" from the lead unit. As I remember, even the controls for a train of multiple units could be linked together. Actually, they were designed more for moving armament and equipment than for personnel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:53 pm:

Dick
So I was right about the steering drive mechanism. I wonder if it was ever used while the patent was in force

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur J. Solie on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:27 am:

If you look at the patent drawings, the method of transmitting power to the wheels is similiar to Christie's early race car or fire engine tractors. Permits a greater turn angle than 28 degrees in either dirrection. Art in Pahrump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:23 pm:

Mr. DeLong has it right, one of the last big farm tractors I bought had four wheel drive-steer. I found that in a very muddy field that the crab postioning worked better, didn't cut down so bad. When one got bored one could play with the various combinations and break the monotony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 01:27 pm:

Funny how things come back around. Just a few years ago, Ch#^y was advertising 4 wheel steer on some of their pickups. Perhaps it would turn sharper, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. Frankly, I wouldn't want it even if it didn't cost extra. Just looks like something to cause problems later on and raise the cost of repair parts. I'm not much on bells and whistles. Must be that most other folks aren't either, as I haven't seen them advertise that in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:31 pm:

It looks like there is a differential on the front too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:56 pm:

Ned
The first posting says 4 wheel drive!!
If you turned those steering knuckles over you would have great ground clearance.
So many projects, so little time sigh!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Stepney on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:44 pm:

On the C____y quadra steer I have one and love it. U turns in the same distance as a H___a. Prerequisit "T" content. Also fantastic for backing up the trailer with the 26 on it.

Ernie

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration