Speedster Friction Shocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Speedster Friction Shocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:58 pm:

I am thinking of adding some Friction Shocks to my Speedster. I am running a dropped axel. Anyone have ideas, or better yet pictures of how you installed friction shocks?
There is a buy it now option on EBAY for friction shocks but they are set up for staight axel.
I have seen Speedway Motors version and The Complete Automobilist (Andre Hartford).
Which friction shock set up works the best?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:03 pm:

The Hartford ones are era correct if that matters.
1. I have seen clamps made to fit the axle
2. I have seen custom shackles made
3. attached to the rear brake flange anchor bolts

My opinion is that where you need them is on the rear axle. If you have driven/watched speedsters on washboard the back end goes it's own place. These would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

Les, thanks for input. Your right on the rear axle. If I hit a big pothole the rear bottoms out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:47 pm:

Bob
I don't know if these will help that much, you might need to add a leaf back in. My point was the uncontrolled bounce of the rear axle that causes the back end to beak loose and slide around. Fundamentally the problem is too much unsprung weight of the solid rear axle torque tube design coupled with the light body weight of the average speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:25 am:

Les, I keep the tires under 22 lbs. and it tracks very well, unless I hit a real mess like a washboard. It does have a bit more weigh than some speedsters with an angle iron perimeter, seat bottom and larger steel trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:15 am:

The speedway shocks are effective but not as pretty. Depending on your speedster either one will work. I would recommend front and rear. It is important not to over tighten the friction nut or they won't work properly.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:33 am:

I've always been concerned about the principle of friction shocks. As you know, static friction is maybe 30% greater than sliding friction. In other words, it takes more jolt to move the shock than to keep it moving. Doesn't this make them less than ideal, especially compared to hydraulic shock absorbers?

rdr
Wash DC, where tax money is spent as a multiple of lobby money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:07 pm:

This attachment technique used around 1920.

P
P!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:25 pm:

As the shocks appear now with new axle that dips in center. Drives out very nice. In process of adding Ross steering gear box and 25-26 Chevy spindles with steering ball. Also Liberty lens and accessory head lite Rims.

P1
P2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

Rick and Fred
thanks for the input. Fred I like the pictures.
Nice Speedster! Looks like a fun and fast car.
Bob in El Sobrante, Ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

Andy,
thanks for your input.
Bob in El Sobrante, Ca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

I looking for more pictures of mounting approaches for friction shocks. Particularly of an application with a ropped axle. Does anyone use Andre Hartford?
Bob, 25 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

Sorry about the typos/spelling, I thought I proofed this post!

I am looking for more pictures of mounting approaches for friction shocks. Particularly of an application with a dropped axle. Does anyone use Andre Hartford?

Bob, 25 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:54 pm:

Bob,
Here are a few ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:56 pm:

Bob,
Here are a few ideas
shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:58 pm:

More ideas

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

shock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 05:40 pm:

Robb, Thank you very much. great pictures.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration