Is this Brass Radiator worth anything or scrap metal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Is this Brass Radiator worth anything or scrap metal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Burch on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

I Received some great advice on my engine question that I thought I would ask the same about the extra brass radiator (pieces) that also came with my 1913 Speedster. It looks like junk to me, but really would like member input. Here are a few pictures a b c The top tank back plate is off but looks in the same condition as the front, the right side plate has a bad repair job to the bottom, the bottom of the radiator is missing. The front, left side, and neck look OK? Is it worth anything? Or wall decoration? Thanks Again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:14 pm:

Does it leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Burch on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:20 pm:

Yes, the round tube core leaks. So I don't know if the rest is worth saving or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

I got $22.50 for a T radiator at the scrapyard yesterday. So at least you know it is worth something...

With that said, the 09-15 brass radiators generally are sale-able no matter what shape they are in. If the front of the top tank and the sides of the radiator are re-usable, you have around $100 in parts there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:51 pm:

Rick
I can't read a Made in USA on the front panel? Does it have a manufacturers tag on the back? I might be interested in buying it!!
I have repaired worse ones for my own use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Burch on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:37 pm:

I'll take a look tomorrow for a tag on the back and to see if it says Made in the USA. I have the car and parts stored about 10 minutes from my house. I'll try and take some better pictures also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:02 pm:

Looks to me like you got some valueable parts along with your car purchase.
I would say with time the radiator would be fixable.Considering the cost of new,a few nights in the shop by the wood stove doing some repairs,could be made to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:09 pm:

Just as decoration on a garage wall, that would be worth reasonable money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:44 pm:

If the inlet and outlet are still good I'd save those, and if it is an early one save the patent plate. I wouldn't throw away any part that can be reused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:39 pm:

Anything is repairable it depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Just be sure you pick a reputable radiator shop. I went to a fellow who claimed he could repair antique radiators and boy did he make a mess of mine. Be sure to get references. I think in another post about radiators a fellow had a shop just outside of Pittsburgh PA repair a brass radiator....Was it Glenshaw PA?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration