Mag post repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Mag post repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:47 pm:

Is there some way to fix an original mag post? The fiber section deteriorates with age leaving only the brass center section. post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:15 pm:

Actually real actual Fiber gets tougher with age. I cannot tell from the picture what vintage you have there since there were in fact 3 different versions but it does appear that you have a later spring in it which would "stack" and force the brass up out of the fiber base since the original springs used with these posts was conical wound with only the top ring turning tight inside the hollow brass part. The brass part was crimped at the bottom to prevent the sleeve from coming up out of the fiber. There should be a "slug" in the bottom of the correct spring and yours doesn't have that. I think somebody put the wrong spring in there and that is what destroyed the post but I wasn't there so can't say for sure. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:48 pm:

The base was some type of laminated flaky stuff. It was on a cast iron non-starter hogshead, but it is all mis-matched stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:33 pm:

Without the insulator post, it's worthless.
You can get the same style here for about $52: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5247

Or this common style for about $15: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/633

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:09 pm:

Thanks for the link, but that's what I was trying to avoid, paying $52. Plus I like to use original parts when possible. Usually somebody knows how to fix just about anything. Even though you can't see it anyway most of the time, I'll know it's there and I don't like the looks of those cheaper ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

We make the earlier posts used from 1909-1917. According to Ford archive drawings and info there were 3 styles used during that time.

1909-1917 Brass Magneto posts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

I'll have to get one one day. I need one for my 14 that I need to restore, right now I have the $14 one. I need one for my 21. It uses the conical shaped black hard rubber? one. I've seen those repro somewhere but w/o the metal ring retainer. I had one of those once, but have looked everywhere for it and can't find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:02 am:

It was the first link I posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Check around,most folkes have spare parts and you might can get a used 1.
It would appear to me if you found a piece of plastic,like from the chop blocks a fellow used the other week for coil boxes,you could use a hole saw to cut out a round piece of plastic.Then drill the holes in it for the screws and press fit the brass in the plastic.Tape up brass,die black.Then look and think of a way to prevent the brass from pushing up in the plastic and causeing a loss of conection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:41 pm:

We make the new style used up until 1925. They are available from Langs. You have to use your old retainer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 06:36 pm:

Lang's has the metal retainer. Part # 3260ARX for $6.95

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration