Best polish for nickel plating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Best polish for nickel plating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:06 pm:

I have a nice pair of original nickel plated Rushmore headlamps. I need to polish them but don't want to polish through the plating. What is the best polish to use to remove the least amount of the plating???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:26 pm:

Mothers...Its the best cleaner/polish I've used... and I used them all...really I've got like 8 different kinds ..Your piece will keep getting better and better as your rag gets blacker and blacker...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:41 pm:

Simichrome polish works well on my nickel radiator shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

"Flitz" is the best all around metal polish I've found. It comes specialized for all different types of metal. The silver polish usually does the best job of all since it is a finer grit for the precious metal, making for a more mirror-like result. Jim Patrick

See: www.Flitz.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

www.flitz.com then click the red "Shop now".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:13 am:

I am hoping to find what someone has used on nickel plating. These lights are 100 years old and I don't want to polish through the plating.
I have looked at some of the silver polishes and that is where I am leaning. The don't need a lot of work but they are definitely dull.
If it was brass then you pretty much can just keep polishing until you find what you like. With plating you have fewer chances to get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:29 am:

I use a 1hp buffer with white or blue stick compound on nickel. Nickel is pretty hard but if all you want to do is remove the oxide, use the Flitz Jim suggested. A good rubbing with any of the "clear-coat" car polishes will also work well and leaves a protective film.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:39 am:

Les
I like NEVR-DULL magic wadding polish. It is a very gentle polish. I just restored a 26 coupe and it works great on all the nickel. It may work on your Rushmores. It would take some time, but those are some real good lights you have. Wally World cares it and the polish is in a silver can now. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:40 am:

Forgot to mention - If they already look like they were sprayed with silver-grey paint, you may not have much nickel left. Any amount of rubbing could wear through. Most of old nickel plating was around .00025-.0005" in thickness. More modern plating is .0005 to .001" thick and can be buffed vigorously.

Can you post a picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:01 am:

Did you really just get six feet of snow, Les?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:06 am:

Bitumen roofing tar works very well for polishing oxidized nickel plating. It removes nothing but the oxidized metal so it is very safe for thin nickel plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:16 am:

I thought only modified tar was appropriate. Haha.

I also like never dull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Ralph
No I did not get 6' of snow. About 25 miles away near the airport they maybe had a foot but lots of wind (30-40mph) for a couple of days, so some really big drifts. We have had several days of record cold early in the week (-41 C). Obviously caused because all the warm air is over at Dopenhagen.
Seth
Maybe but it is too cold to use it right not!
Ken and Leon
Thanks for the suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:26 pm:

I use Semichrome polish on my 1912 Triumph motorcycle. I finished restoration in 1982 and it is a multiple AACA Preservation award winner. We show it a lot and the plating still looks fantastic. I won't use anything else on it.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

Thinning it with a bit of kerosene will do the trick for those living in the great white north.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 03:41 am:

I got some Naver Dull today and tried it on a '26-'27 switch plate that has fairly good but dull plating on it. Might as well have used Modified Bitumen Roofing Tar on it. Can't say I would recommend it for something that wasn't already polished. I have used a Dremel with a buffing pad and a very fine polishing compound and VERY LIGHTLY polished some original nickel plated hubcaps and they came out nice. Didn't remove any plating that wasn't already gone. Just my .02. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:34 am:

I use "Autosol" from Germany on both brass & nickel. Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:44 am:

Lots of good ideas here. Thx guys
Seth
I suppose the kerosene would help. Only -23C here this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:17 am:

I believe Nevr-Dull is abrasive, years ago we used it to remove the black paint off of brass radiators. Sure works good on the brass though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:17 am:

Les,

Keep those low temps and all that snow up there. About 5C here and I'd love it if it was 15C on Christmas Day like it has been many times.

Merry Christmas!

Seth

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration