RHD floor mat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: RHD floor mat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

Has anyone found a source for these, I need one for my '13.
If they don't exist is there any interest in having a run made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:42 pm:

If the repros were made correctly, all you would have to do is turn it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:47 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

Just turn it upside down! The Ford will spell Drof, but it will fit! Maybe you could find one in Australia or New Zealand since they still drive on the opposite side there.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:34 pm:

All the repo mats I have seen have no lettering or texture on the back side. I am hoping maybe the guys from the UK or Aus or NZ will have a source. I have been told that the original Canadian mats were embossed on both sides.
Norm
When you turn it over how does the d become capitalized and the F become small. I went to the garage and tried it and no luck here. Maybe it is a California thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

Forum 2008: Right Hand Drive Controls
Maybe brob with a swirl? mirrored logo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

David
Ok so I guess no one makes it. I will look into it. I doubt the 500 pieces mentioned though. I have a left hand one that I can use for information.
Would anyone buy at $200.00 each?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

Les, we are all waiting here down under,for someone to repro them. I believe it was tried once, but they were brittle and fractured when rolled up to post. If I could speak Chinese I would consider getting some manufactured in Asia. I think you could easily sell 200 in NZ alone.

If you decide to go for it, I'll be your first customer, although the exchange rate would make $200 US pricey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:08 am:

Nevin
That is always the big question, how many can you sell against what the tooling will cost. I refuse to go to China to have them made. There is a local company that does some rubber vulcanizing and I will talk to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:51 am:

I have a repo RHD mat in my Town Car.

I bought it about 35 years ago.
Its started to split around the pedals and its getting a bit hard but the quality is reasonable. I'm surprised that the original maker hasn't been tracked down and the mould found.

It has been in my list of things to do for a few years now. I was going to make a fibreglass mould from it before it fell apart. I had a neighbour who was in the rubber business and he informed me there were several 2 part rubber solutions that would be ideal to reproduce the mat in small quantities.

I'm sure there would be a market for such a mat, if anyone is interested in chasing up manufacture of one they can have a tracing or whatever from mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict, Calgary on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:34 am:

Les, I'd be interested for my C Cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:53 am:

Les, agreed. The greater the US content in my T, the happy I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:16 am:

Les, I'm sure we here in the UK would provide a ready market for RHD carpets. I'd certainly buy one if at a reasonable price for my 21 Touring, which I converted to RHD some years ago, and I'd just love one for my genuinely RHD 11 Torpedo Runabout, but there can't be much demand for that. I had considered buying a normal LHD carpet for the 21, and cutting it up, switching it from side to side, and setting it on some canvas or something.
Like most folks, Ihave, in the past, made up floor carpets (mats) from ordinary "Lin" rubber, but it splits too easily, and doesn't last
Do please keep us informed on what you do. Thanks, Les
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:24 am:

We have a fellow in Victoria Australia that was making them for RHD but can no longer obtain the white rubber.Put me down for one too Alan Western Australia 1910

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:35 pm:

Nevin
I would be maximizing the Canadian content!!
David
I have looked at the cut and paste idea. It is just kind of backyard though.
I guess this is application for really modified bitumen roofing tar!!
Something you guys can help me with; What is the best version to make that can be trimmed to suit other cars??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:58 pm:

Has anyone researched the floor mat for the 1911 torpedo roadster? If I understand correctly the mat for the torpedo is special as it is oversize compared to the standard car one. That would be anther project for the mat maker.
On the Early Ford Registry there is a thread on the topic of floor mats for the NRS Fords. Someone has been tooling up for the reproduction of these mats. I believe they are ready about now. And that might also be overseas in Australia. So there are people out there who can do these special things.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

Herb
The NRS mat is somewhat different. No brake handle for one thing.
I am not looking for another project. I need to solve my problem and if I can help some others that is a bonus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:00 pm:

Les, sorry. Mine is a Canadian T so that would be even more appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:20 am:

It would be wonderful to get any RHD mats, even for the more common years/types, but to get one for my RHD 11 Torpedo would be like getting a set of hen's teeth. How wonderful that would be but what sort of market is there for THOSE? How many RHD Torpedos are there? I doubt more than say five in the world, maybe much fewer. Count me in for my 21 Touring, Les. I can advertise them for you here in England, and I'm sure many of us over here and in Aus, NZ, Canada and India will want one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:32 am:

David and others
So I found a supplier for your odd floormat. A guy about 100 miles from here can make it for you. You will of course need the design/template. If it is the reverse of the LH one then you are in business. And yes he can do white rubber too I believe. These are essentially hand done. His ball park for a 30" x 30" black mat was about $350.00. This is a blind estimate so don't go mailing cheques just yet. Visit his web site www.runningboardrubber.com

I will continue to pursue other larger volume methods for the more generic ones. His supplier of component material is right near me so I will visit him today. He was going to make some inquiries for me. Some of the benefits of living in a industrial area in a recession, the suppliers want to talk to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

Last I heard, even the LHD off-white mats were not available. There should be plenty of demand for those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:58 pm:

Torpedo mats
well if some one has one and is willing to let you make a detailed drawing and take good pictures then everyone could be in business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:56 am:

Les, Jeff Daron kindly sent me copies of some T drawings, and amongst them is a drawing of the Torpedo mat, showing the Ford script. I can't make out the drawing number, but I'm sure a good copy of the original drawing should be available from the right source.
I'll try to attach here a scan of the copy that I have, but don't hold your breath, I'm not yet sure what I'm doing with these pix on the Forum.
1911 Torpedo mat factory Drawing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:06 am:

Les, Jeff Daron kindly sent me copies of some T drawings, and amongst them is a drawing of the Torpedo mat, showing the Ford script. I can't make out the drawing number, but I'm sure a good copy of the original drawing should be available from the right source.
I'll try to attach here a scan of the copy that I have, but don't hold your breath, I'm not yet sure what I'm doing with these pix on the Forum.
1911 Torpedo mat factory Drawing
Nope, it says it's the wrong file format, whatever that means. so no pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:08 am:

Nope, it says it's the wrong file format, whatever that means. so no pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:10 am:

looks like the system won't allow an ordinary scanned pdf pic, so goodness know what I do now. Sorry about the duplications, I'm doing my humble best, folks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:20 pm:

So how many people want a floor mat for Torpedo. I will carry it to the guy and get a price. Are we talking 1 or more. I do NOT need one for myself. I can drive near to the guy next Saturday December 19 and it would be nice to have a quantity in mind. Also are we talking white or black rubber. I am only motivated to do this once so talk to your pals and figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 11:55 am:

Why not have these mats made in China? I don't understand. Quality goods are available in China at a low price. Why shoot your self in the foot? The world ain't gonna stop just because a few folks have a problem with it.

Another option would be Veit Namm. I understand our really nice white tires are made there. I'll send an email to Corky Coker and see if he can get the job done. If successful; quality mats at a low price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Fred
We used to be able to buy good quality tires (4.50-21) made in New Zealand. I have some that are 35 years old and no cracks/checks. Now I hear a litany of stories about tires barely lasting 5 years from Vietnam (I don't have any of those personally). I have had the misfortune of having Chinese trailer tires and even some truck tires. I have had great success with Finnish made tires. We could get into a discussion of people buying the cheapest tire and then finding out that the guy who made good stuff has quit. Pointless discussion. For the 10 or so people who want white authentic Torpedo mats I suspect they want the best quality and want to do it once only. For the couple of hundred people who want RHD drive I suspect they feel the same. If Corky want to supply this great. People have been inquiring for years about RHD mats. No supplier has stepped up. I doubt they will now. Maybe I am wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 12:57 am:

Les: I did attempt to call Coker Tires this morning, Corky wasn't available; no response as yet.

I have used many all white Coker and Firestone tires over the years and mostly have had good luck with them(30 x 3.5).

Even the white Firestone tires from the last couple of years are the best I've seen since the black Monkey Wards of the 50's and 60's. Even the wear rate really seems good. I'm having a problem just wearing the nipples off the treds!

Les, You are one of the good guys who wears the white hat. I'm sure I speak for many on the forum who appreciate your efforts to help all of us in the hobby. Your many talents and knowledge are appreciated. Thank you so much. We love you, man.
Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 11:28 am:

If someone were to make the mats embossed on both sides, like the originals, there would be no problem obtaining RHD ones.

I'm not familiar with the manufacturing process, but it doesn't seem like it would be too big a deal to throw in a batch of white or gray rubber from time to time using those same molds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:17 am:

Mike, you're so right. OK the die costs would be greater, with having to make up two seperate faces of the mould (mold) but the market for both LHD and RHD would help to negate those extras initial costs. I don't know how these things are done, but one of you out there must know. We await your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:31 am:

If I needed a RHD mat, here is how I would do it. Judging by the $200.00 cost you are willing to pay for a right hand mat, you could make your own using two left hand mats and still come out way ahead.

First, lay mat #1 upright on a flat surface lay mat #2 upside down over mat #1 and locate the exact location of the right hand pedals, and emergency brake lever location, making slits in mat #1 where each hole goes. Now, take mat #1 and place on a perfectly flat piece of rigid plywood for cutting. Make sure it is large enough to place the two mats side by side. Using a straight edge and a sharp new razor knife, carefully cut out the left hand square pedal holes on the border between the smooth part and the diamond pattern. Then cut out the Ford Script and the emergency brake lever opening where the diamond pattern meets the smooth border.

Now take mat #2 and, using the cutout pieces as templates, carefully cut out the exact same sized (maybe a fraction bigger) diamond patterned pieces to replace the the pieces just cut from mat #1. It is important that the diamond pattern pieces match the border of the holes that they will be fitting into. It is also important that the replacement pieces be a fraction bigger on all sides so that when they are put in place they will be squeezed into the opening, thus squeezing out any evidence of a cut. If they are the exact size or smaller, there may be a gap. Once the diamond pieces from mat #2 are tightly in place in mat #1, using the three pieces cut from mat #1, as a template, carefully cut out the new hole locations on mat #1 and insert the pieces into their new locations.

Take a piece of 1/8" black live rubber sheeting (rubber. Not tar paper) used in roofing and use as a backing for your new floormat. Apply contact cement to the the 1/8" rubber sheeting and carefully turn over your new floormat and apply contact cement to the back of the floormat. Let dry for 20 minutes and carefully press the backing onto the back of your floormat. Turn the floormat back over and cut the excass backing off the edges of the new floormat. Voila! A new RHD floormat. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 10:44 am:

PS. I said to cut the Ford Script from mat #1. You can just as easily cut the Ford Script from mat #2, however, if you want to use the script from mat#1, be sure not to slit through it while using mat #2 to locate pedal holes. Instead of slits, use chalk, white out or white paint to locate pedal holes on the RH side. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 11:58 am:

Jim
Yep I tried your approach. At the pedal area it works out OK. It starts to break down in the lever area. I just concluded that it would look too home made for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Skinner on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:32 pm:

Jim, If the costs turn out just too outrageous, then your way seems to be the way to go.
However, if the costs can be got down to something approaching the standard LHD mats as available from the vendors, then there's certainly a big market around, in my humble opinion.
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

I agree David, but if no one wants to step up, go to the expense and effort and take the gamble, then all of you who need RHD floormats are left without anything, however, if done carefully, I'm sure with this method you could wind up with a nice RHD floormat that will last for many years,until someone finally markets one, if they ever do and don't you think something like this will look nicer than the bare floorboards or the covering you are currently using? I'm almost inclined to do it just to show you all that it can be done professionally, but I don't have the time to do it nor have I a need of a RHD floormat. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 10:33 am:

PS. Of course if I did do it and put it on ebay, which I briefly considered, what are the chances of getting anything for it judging by the, somewhat, lukewarm response this idea has generated. Oh well. Good luck to you all on getting RHD floormats. I don't think they will be coming on the market anytime soon. respectfully submitted. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:40 pm:

So far nothing from Fred or Corky, guess it is up to me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration