Q? why a post does not move up the tree?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Q? why a post does not move up the tree?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 11:45 pm:

I noticed the post "Model T Wood to Model A Wire Wheel Adapter" does not move up the tree when someone posts to it.

I view the posts by date/time posted (default?)

There have been eight responses to it today and not one listed. Anyone know why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:08 am:

It moved up. Folks post to other threads and they move up too--The most recent on top. That pushes older threads down. Ya gotta be quick! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David_Cockey on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:02 pm:

Have you refreshed your screen? Also some internet "accelerators" work by storing pages and then displaying a stored page rather than downloading an updated page, or so I've heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:19 pm:

Sometimes, when I post to an existing thread it will push to the top. Most of the time it doesn't. I've never know why except this p.c. is an antique. If this thing had wheels they'd probably have wood spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:26 am:

And mine would have a hand crank! Robert, mine does the same thing. Sometimes(mostly), I have to click back to the start page and let it load, then go back. No idea why, although I do have suspicions that this 'puter is a female. Only explanation I can come up with! OK, just kiddin' Trish! Don't shoot me! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:32 am:

Usually with most browsers if you hold down the "control" key when you hit the "refresh" button or "load page" button or whatever button usually causes the forum to load - it causes a totally new updated version of the page to download rather than pulling the last version of the page from the cache memory. Computers store the last version of pages in cache memory so they can call it back up quickly if you go back to a page previously visited. Holding down on the "control" key usually will get you latest new version of a web browser page but it will take a bit longer to load it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:52 am:

This become a little of-topic as this is not an IT Support forum, but....
When a browser retrieves a web page it is stored somewhere on your computer in what John refers to as "Cache memory" - it is somewhere on your harddisk under the folder "Documents and Settings".
If you click the "Back" Button you will just be given the cached version of the webpage as it can be delivered instantly - and in most cases it havn't changed.
If you in this Forum instead click on the "Forum 2009" string at the top of the thread, you will get a new load of the Forum 2009 overview - but from the top. If you where browsing some pages down to catch up you will have to browse down those pages again - so that may not be what you want. Then the back button is better.
To make things more complex - some ISP's (Internet Service Providers) establish their own cache mamory in some network devices, so that say the most common 1000 webpages are kept in a copy more local to the user community than the original copy. This is pretty common in enterprises internet connections so that a "thinner" connection can provide a fair service for the users. There are ways for a browser to make such cache devices go for a fresh copy and I think that is exactly what John explains above.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration