ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/10/09 STARTS FORDS INSTANTLY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/10/09 STARTS FORDS INSTANTLY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:20 pm:

Here's an accessory intake manifold that heats the gas vapor for cold morning starts.
as-kevaporizer as-kevaporizer1
as-kevaporizer2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 01:52 pm:

I'll bet that add on was a big battey drain! There a lot of cast to heat up with the low engery batts of the time. I wonder how warm it made the intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

Irving and Leonard Aske of Duluth, Minnesota filed and received some
15 patents for fuel vaporizing devices in the 1920 to 1931 time frame.
None of the three patents that I have linked to are an exact match for the
manifold in the photos, but each has some of the features involved.

Patent number: 1561814
Filing date: Jun 19, 1923
Issue date: Nov 1925
http://tinyurl.com/ygf4tq7

Patent number: 1690520
Filing date: May 12, 1924
Issue date: Nov 6, 1928
http://tinyurl.com/y9soy5u

Patent number: 1810382
Filing date: May 2, 1922
Issue date: Jun 16, 1931
http://tinyurl.com/yzmsx6n

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

Of interest is that the Lincoln's had a similar vapor pre-heating arangement on their intakes in the 20's. I remember seeing something about it in old Ford Bulletins.

Larry Bohlen '27 touring
Severn, Maryland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 10:08 pm:

They still make things like this. Zerostart makes them for big diesel trucks yet.
I agree, what a battery drain! I guess its just trying to heat the incoming air. Wouldn't want to get it too hot though.

Boy Jay, I sure enjoy these, thanks alot.

Art, your patent info always makes me smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:46 am:

Yep Jay, I think you need to get this stuff catalogued and put up a website and or make a book. It would a great reference tool and would most likely grow with other people sending their 'must have items'. It would be neat if someone found some accessory and could identify it and mabey get a reprinted copy of the instructions, or have a particular part in mind that they were looking for, but didn't know what it looked like exactly. Just a thought, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:01 am:

My Ford diesel tractor has a preheater in the air intake pipe. It heats the air instead of having glow plugs in the head like the Kubota. There's no waiting like the glow plugs either. You climb aboard and turn the key. It fires up immediately.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration